JournalJournal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
PublisherLippincott Williams & Wilkins
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn increasing number of children needing out-of-home care are being placed with relatives. Despite this pervasive policy, there has been scant research on children in this arrangement called kinship care. The objectives of this study were (1) to assess the behavior of children in kinship care and (2) to identify predictors of their behavior. The caregivers of 346 children in kinship care completed the Child Behavior Checklist (CBCL). Background information was obtained from caregivers and caseworkers. Forty-two percent of boys and 28% of girls had overall CBCL scores in the clinical range, compared with an expected 10% in the general population. Logistic regressions revealed several variables significantly associated with behavior problems including: Reason for placement, gender, race, caregiver's perception of the child, caregiver's educational level, number of contacts between caregiver and caseworker, long-term plan, and child's age. The frequent behavior problems among these high-risk children in kinship care suggest they all deserve mental health evaluations; at a minimum, periodic screening is indicated. Copyright 1993 by Williams & Wilkins.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/11971
- Kinship care: a child-oriented approach.
- Authors: Dworkin PH
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- The health and well-being of caregivers of children with cerebral palsy.
- Authors: Raina P, O'Donnell M, Rosenbaum P, Brehaut J, Walter SD, Russell D, Swinton M, Zhu B, Wood E
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Behavior problems and mental health contacts in adopted, foster, and nonadopted children.
- Authors: Brand AE, Brinich PM
- Issue date: 1999 Nov
- Identification and management of psychosocial problems among toddlers in Dutch preventive child health care.
- Authors: Reijneveld SA, Brugman E, Verhulst FC, Verloove-Vanhorick SP
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Mental health of children in foster and kinship care in New South Wales, Australia.
- Authors: Tarren-Sweeney M, Hazell P
- Issue date: 2006 Mar