JournalChild Abuse and Neglect
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe view of what constitutes child abuse and neglect is dependent on the laws, cultural context, local thresholds and the availability. Since 1982, the International Society for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (ISPCAN) has conducted surveillance of child maltreatment and child protection every two years, published in World Perspectives on Child Abuse. It is hoped that up to date information will inform the development of laws, policies and programs to better address child abuse and neglect. This article is based on data on child sexual abuse and exploitation from 73 countries gathered online in 2015-16 for the 12 edition of World Perspectives. Respondents were key informants who were knowledgeable professionals in the child protection field. They were encouraged to consult with colleagues so as to provide accurate information. Countries were grouped into different regions of the world and into income level categories. The findings focus on definitions of abuse and neglect, laws, policies and programs to address and prevent maltreatment and barriers to prevention. It is evident that there is considerable variability across regions and country income categories, and that programs and services need to be considerably strengthened, even in high income countries. Copyright 2017
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85013448369&doi=10.1016%2fj.chiabu.2017.02.011&partnerID=40&md5=2d6d9dbb1801c115ed558adae4b8690d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/11813
- The development and piloting of the ISPCAN Child Abuse Screening Tool-Parent version (ICAST-P).
- Authors: Runyan DK, Dunne MP, Zolotor AJ, Madrid B, Jain D, Gerbaka B, Menick DM, Andreva-Miller I, Kasim MS, Choo WY, Isaeva O, Macfarlane B, Ramirez C, Volkova E, Youssef RM
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Protecting children from violence and maltreatment: a qualitative comparative analysis assessing the implementation of U.N. CRC Article 19.
- Authors: Svevo-Cianci KA, Hart SN, Rubinson C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Preventive health care, 2000 update: prevention of child maltreatment.
- Authors: MacMillan HL, Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Care.
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 28
- Dilemmas for international mobilization around child abuse and neglect.
- Authors: Finkelhor D, Lannen P
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- The global challenge of the neglect of children.
- Authors: Kobulsky JM, Dubowitz H, Xu Y
- Issue date: 2020 Dec