JournalExperimental Cell Research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLateral gene transfer (LGT) is an all-encompassing term for the movement of DNA between diverse organisms. LGT is synonymous with horizontal gene transfer, and the terms are used interchangeably throughout the scientific literature. While LGT has been recognized within the bacteria domain of life for decades, inter-domain LGTs are being increasingly described. LGTs between bacteria and complex multicellular organisms are of interest because they challenge the long-held dogma that such transfers could only occur in closely-related, single-celled organisms. Scientists will continue to challenge our understanding of LGT as we sequence more, diverse organisms, as we sequence more endosymbiont-colonized arthropods, and as we continue to appreciate LGT events, both young and old. Copyright 2017 The Authors
SponsorsOur research and the preparation of this manuscript was supported by the National Science Foundation Advances in Biological Informatics (ABI-1457957) and the National Institutes of Health through the NIH Director's New Innovator Award Program (1-DP2-OD007372) and an NIH Director's Transformative Research Award (1-R01-CA206188).
Horizontal gene transfer
Lateral gene transfer
Serial endosymbiosis theory
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85012940650&doi=10.1016%2fj.yexcr.2017.02.009&partnerID=40&md5=2d8d59c4e83dc54b1f753fd34ddf8191; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9994
- Lateral gene transfers and the origins of the eukaryote proteome: a view from microbial parasites.
- Authors: Hirt RP, Alsmark C, Embley TM
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Grafting or pruning in the animal tree: lateral gene transfer and gene loss?
- Authors: Dunning Hotopp JC
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 18
- Too Much Eukaryote LGT.
- Authors: Martin WF
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- The Vein Patterning 1 (VEP1) gene family laterally spread through an ecological network.
- Authors: Tarrío R, Ayala FJ, Rodríguez-Trelles F
- Issue date: 2011
- Paths of lateral gene transfer of lysyl-aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases with a unique evolutionary transition stage of prokaryotes coding for class I and II varieties by the same organisms.
- Authors: Shaul S, Nussinov R, Pupko T
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 12