Zika virus: Recent advances towards the development of vaccines and therapeutics
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractZika is a rapidly emerging public health threat. Although clinical infection is frequently mild, significant neurological manifestations have been demonstrated in infants born to Zika virus (ZIKV) infected mothers. Due to the substantial ramifications of intrauterine infection, effective counter-measures are urgently needed. In order to develop effective anti-ZIKV vaccines and therapeutics, improved animal models and a better understanding of immunological correlates of protection against ZIKV are required. This review will summarize what is currently known about ZIKV, the clinical manifestations and epidemiology of Zika as well as, the development of animal models to study ZIKV infection, host immune responses against ZIKV, and the current state of development of vaccines and therapeutics against ZIKV. Copyright 2017 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
SponsorsThis work was supported, in part, by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Harold Amos Medical Faculty Development Program (73307) and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Cooperative Centers on Human Immunity (NIAID, U19 AI-110820).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85020935794&doi=10.3390%2fv9060143&partnerID=40&md5=adbbb898fc3b131561411d32f26e23ed; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9985
- Zika virus: from an obscurity to a priority.
- Authors: Lee CY, Ng LFP
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Rapid response to an emerging infectious disease - Lessons learned from development of a synthetic DNA vaccine targeting Zika virus.
- Authors: Kudchodkar SB, Choi H, Reuschel EL, Esquivel R, Jin-Ah Kwon J, Jeong M, Maslow JN, Reed CC, White S, Kim JJ, Kobinger GP, Tebas P, Weiner DB, Muthumani K
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Zika Virus: Immune Evasion Mechanisms, Currently Available Therapeutic Regimens, and Vaccines.
- Authors: Asif A, Manzoor S, Tuz-Zahra F, Saalim M, Ashraf M, Ishtiyaq J, Khalid M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- [Advances in Zika vaccines].
- Authors: Wang R, Chen H, An J
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 4
- A review of Zika virus: hurdles toward vaccine development and the way forward.
- Authors: Haque A, Akçeşme FB, Pant AB
- Issue date: 2018