Alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in younger women according to family history of breast cancer and folate intake
JournalAmerican Journal of Epidemiology
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo evaluate the association between alcohol consumption and breast cancer risk in younger women, overall and by family history of breast cancer and folate intake, we prospectively followed 93,835 US women aged 27–44 years in Nurses’ Health Study II who had alcohol consumption data in 1991. Alcohol consumption and folate intake were measured by food frequency questionnaire every 4 years. We documented 2,866 incident cases of invasive breast cancer between 1991 and 2011. Alcohol consumption was not associated with breast cancer risk overall (for intake of ≥10 g/day vs. nondrinking, multivariate hazard ratio = 1.07, 95% confidence interval: 0.94, 1.22). When the association was stratified by family history and folate intake, a positive association between alcohol consumption and breast cancer was found among women with a family history and folate intake less than 400 μg/day (multivariate hazard ratio = 1.82, 95% confidence interval: 1.06, 3.12; P-trend = 0.08). Alcohol consumption was not associated with breast cancer in other categories of family history and folate intake (P-interaction = 0.55). In conclusion, in this population of younger women, higher alcohol consumption was associated with increased risk of breast cancer among those with both a family history of breast cancer and lower folate intake Copyright The Author(s) 2017.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85030615152&doi=10.1093%2faje%2fkwx137&partnerID=40&md5=8ef2c17810b3cb4b836238a0d7ae9d41; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9954
- Intakes of alcohol and folate during adolescence and risk of proliferative benign breast disease.
- Authors: Liu Y, Tamimi RM, Berkey CS, Willett WC, Collins LC, Schnitt SJ, Connolly JL, Colditz GA
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Alcohol intake between menarche and first pregnancy: a prospective study of breast cancer risk.
- Authors: Liu Y, Colditz GA, Rosner B, Berkey CS, Collins LC, Schnitt SJ, Connolly JL, Chen WY, Willett WC, Tamimi RM
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 16
- Folate intake, alcohol use, and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial.
- Authors: Stolzenberg-Solomon RZ, Chang SC, Leitzmann MF, Johnson KA, Johnson C, Buys SS, Hoover RN, Ziegler RG
- Issue date: 2006 Apr
- Folate intake and the risk of incident hypertension among US women.
- Authors: Forman JP, Rimm EB, Stampfer MJ, Curhan GC
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 19
- Plasma folate, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, homocysteine, and risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Zhang SM, Willett WC, Selhub J, Hunter DJ, Giovannucci EL, Holmes MD, Colditz GA, Hankinson SE
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 5