Functional analysis of Plasmodium falciparum subpopulations associated with artemisinin resistance in Cambodia
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Plasmodium falciparum malaria is one of the most widespread parasitic infections in humans and remains a leading global health concern. Malaria elimination efforts are threatened by the emergence and spread of resistance to artemisinin-based combination therapy, the first-line treatment of malaria. Promising molecular markers and pathways associated with artemisinin drug resistance have been identified, but the underlying molecular mechanisms of resistance remains unknown. The genomic data from early period of emergence of artemisinin resistance (2008-2011) was evaluated, with aim to define k13 associated genetic background in Cambodia, the country identified as epicentre of anti-malarial drug resistance, through characterization of 167 parasite isolates using a panel of 21,257 SNPs. Results: Eight subpopulations were identified suggesting a process of acquisition of artemisinin resistance consistent with an emergence-selection-diffusion model, supported by the shifting balance theory. Identification of population specific mutations facilitated the characterization of a core set of 57 background genes associated with artemisinin resistance and associated pathways. The analysis indicates that the background of artemisinin resistance was not acquired after drug pressure, rather is the result of fixation followed by selection on the daughter subpopulations derived from the ancestral population. Conclusions: Functional analysis of artemisinin resistance subpopulations illustrates the strong interplay between ubiquitination and cell division or differentiation in artemisinin resistant parasites. The relationship of these pathways with the P. falciparum resistant subpopulation and presence of drug resistance markers in addition to k13, highlights the major role of admixed parasite population in the diffusion of artemisinin resistant background. The diffusion of resistant genes in the Cambodian admixed population after selection resulted from mating of gametocytes of sensitive and resistant parasite populations. Copyright 2017 The Author(s).
SponsorsDBR and EC were supported by the ANR (Agence Nationale de la Recherche “Investissements d’avenir/Bioinformatique”): ANR-11-BINF-0002 (Institut de Biologie Computationnelle). AD was funded by Erasmus Mundus Action 2: Svaagata.eu project: India, funded by the European Commission (ref.nr Agreement Number: 2012-2648/001-001-EM Action 2-Partnerships).
Network based stratification
Shifting balance theory
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85038437838&doi=10.1186%2fs12936-017-2140-1&partnerID=40&md5=576f7986c0b22c682b2272afd38d8e6a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9921
- A molecular marker of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
- Authors: Ariey F, Witkowski B, Amaratunga C, Beghain J, Langlois AC, Khim N, Kim S, Duru V, Bouchier C, Ma L, Lim P, Leang R, Duong S, Sreng S, Suon S, Chuor CM, Bout DM, Ménard S, Rogers WO, Genton B, Fandeur T, Miotto O, Ringwald P, Le Bras J, Berry A, Barale JC, Fairhurst RM, Benoit-Vical F, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Ménard D
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 2
- Independent emergence of artemisinin resistance mutations among Plasmodium falciparum in Southeast Asia.
- Authors: Takala-Harrison S, Jacob CG, Arze C, Cummings MP, Silva JC, Dondorp AM, Fukuda MM, Hien TT, Mayxay M, Noedl H, Nosten F, Kyaw MP, Nhien NT, Imwong M, Bethell D, Se Y, Lon C, Tyner SD, Saunders DL, Ariey F, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Menard D, Newton PN, Khanthavong M, Hongvanthong B, Starzengruber P, Fuehrer HP, Swoboda P, Khan WA, Phyo AP, Nyunt MM, Nyunt MH, Brown TS, Adams M, Pepin CS, Bailey J, Tan JC, Ferdig MT, Clark TG, Miotto O, MacInnis B, Kwiatkowski DP, White NJ, Ringwald P, Plowe CV
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 1
- Plasmodium falciparum parasite population structure and gene flow associated to anti-malarial drugs resistance in Cambodia.
- Authors: Dwivedi A, Khim N, Reynes C, Ravel P, Ma L, Tichit M, Bourchier C, Kim S, Dourng D, Khean C, Chim P, Siv S, Frutos R, Lek D, Mercereau-Puijalon O, Ariey F, Menard D, Cornillot E
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 14
- Limited polymorphisms in k13 gene in Plasmodium falciparum isolates from Dakar, Senegal in 2012-2013.
- Authors: Torrentino-Madamet M, Fall B, Benoit N, Camara C, Amalvict R, Fall M, Dionne P, Ba Fall K, Nakoulima A, Diatta B, Diemé Y, Ménard D, Wade B, Pradines B
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 4
- Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia: a multisite prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Amaratunga C, Lim P, Suon S, Sreng S, Mao S, Sopha C, Sam B, Dek D, Try V, Amato R, Blessborn D, Song L, Tullo GS, Fay MP, Anderson JM, Tarning J, Fairhurst RM
- Issue date: 2016 Mar