Sublaminar subdivision of mouse auditory cortex layer 2/3 based on functional translaminar connections
JournalJournal of Neuroscience
PublisherSociety for Neuroscience
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe cerebral cortex is subdivided into six layers based on morphological features. The supragranular layers 2/3 (L2/3) contain morphologically and genetically diverse populations of neurons, suggesting the existence of discrete classes of cells. In primates and carnivores L2/3 can be subdivided morphologically, but cytoarchitectonic divisions are less clear in rodents. Nevertheless, discrete classes of cells could exist based on their computational requirement, which might be linked to their associated functional microcircuits. Through in vitro slice recordings coupled with laser-scanning photostimulation we investigated whether L2/3 of male mouse auditory cortex contains discrete subpopulations of cells with specific functional microcircuits. We use hierarchical clustering on the laminar connection patterns to reveal the existence of multiple distinct classes of L2/3 neurons. The classes of L2/3 neurons are distinguished by the pattern of their laminar and columnar inputs from within A1 and their location within L2/3. Cells in superficial L2 show more extensive columnar integration than deeper L3 cells. Moreover, L3 cells receive more translaminar input from L4. In vivo imaging in awake mice revealed that L2 cells had higher bandwidth than L3 cells, consistent with the laminar differences in columnar integration. These results suggest that similar to higher mammals, rodent L2/3 is not a homogenous layer but contains several parallel microcircuits. Copyright 2017 the authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85031915651&doi=10.1523%2fJNEUROSCI.1361-17.2017&partnerID=40&md5=3fa0432068e1086c32c4dbbdae2a5e6d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9881
- The functional asymmetry of auditory cortex is reflected in the organization of local cortical circuits.
- Authors: Oviedo HV, Bureau I, Svoboda K, Zador AM
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Intracortical Circuits in Thalamorecipient Layers of Auditory Cortex Refine after Visual Deprivation.
- Authors: Meng X, Kao JP, Lee HK, Kanold PO
- Issue date: 2017 Mar-Apr
- Vision loss shifts the balance of feedforward and intracortical circuits in opposite directions in mouse primary auditory and visual cortices.
- Authors: Petrus E, Rodriguez G, Patterson R, Connor B, Kanold PO, Lee HK
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 10
- Spatial pattern of intra-laminar connectivity in supragranular mouse auditory cortex.
- Authors: Watkins PV, Kao JP, Kanold PO
- Issue date: 2014
- Spatial organization of excitatory synaptic inputs to layer 4 neurons in mouse primary auditory cortex.
- Authors: Kratz MB, Manis PB
- Issue date: 2015