PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The goal of the study was to investigate whether cigarette smoking alters oral and nasal microbial diversity, composition, and structure. Twenty-three current smokers and 20 never smokers were recruited. From each subject, nine samples including supra and subgingiva plaque scrapes, saliva, swabs from five soft oral tissue sites, and one nasal swab from both the anterior nares were collected. 16S rRNA V3-V4 region was sequenced for microbial profiles. Results: We found that alpha diversity was lower in smokers than in nonsmokers in the buccal mucosa, but in other sample sites, microbial diversity and composition were not significantly different by smoking status. Microbial profiles differed significantly among eight oral sites. Conclusions: This study investigates the effect of cigarette smoking on different sites of the oral cavity and shows a potential effect of cigarette smoking on the buccal mucosa microbiota. The marked heterogeneity of the oral microbial ecosystem that we found may contribute to the stability of the oral microbiota in most sites when facing environmental perturbations such as that caused by cigarette smoking. Copyright The Author(s) 2017.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Intramural Research Program of the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85015835488&doi=10.1186%2fs40168-016-0226-6&partnerID=40&md5=bfe0f6c41e74c073d089a23f2cf63224; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9871
- Analysis of the upper respiratory tract microbiotas as the source of the lung and gastric microbiotas in healthy individuals.
- Authors: Bassis CM, Erb-Downward JR, Dickson RP, Freeman CM, Schmidt TM, Young VB, Beck JM, Curtis JL, Huffnagle GB
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 3
- The association between anterior nares and nasopharyngeal microbiota in infants hospitalized for bronchiolitis.
- Authors: Luna PN, Hasegawa K, Ajami NJ, Espinola JA, Henke DM, Petrosino JF, Piedra PA, Sullivan AF, Camargo CA Jr, Shaw CA, Mansbach JM
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 3
- The human laryngeal microbiome: effects of cigarette smoke and reflux.
- Authors: Jetté ME, Dill-McFarland KA, Hanshew AS, Suen G, Thibeault SL
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 24
- Impact of cigarette smoking on the middle meatus microbiome in health and chronic rhinosinusitis.
- Authors: Ramakrishnan VR, Frank DN
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Comparison of oral microbiota in orthodontic patients and healthy individuals.
- Authors: Sun F, Ahmed A, Wang L, Dong M, Niu W
- Issue date: 2018 Oct