Genome-wide physical activity interactions in adiposity ― A meta-analysis of 200,452 adults
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhysical activity (PA) may modify the genetic effects that give rise to increased risk of obesity. To identify adiposity loci whose effects are modified by PA, we performed genome-wide interaction meta-analyses of BMI and BMI-adjusted waist circumference and waist-hip ratio from up to 200,452 adults of European (n = 180,423) or other ancestry (n = 20,029). We standardized PA by categorizing it into a dichotomous variable where, on average, 23% of participants were categorized as inactive and 77% as physically active. While we replicate the interaction with PA for the strongest known obesity-risk locus in the FTO gene, of which the effect is attenuated by ~30% in physically active individuals compared to inactive individuals, we do not identify additional loci that are sensitive to PA. In additional genome-wide meta-analyses adjusting for PA and interaction with PA, we identify 11 novel adiposity loci, suggesting that accounting for PA or other environmental factors that contribute to variation in adiposity may facilitate gene discovery.
Alpha-Ketoglutarate-Dependent Dioxygenase FTO
Body Mass Index
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
Genome-Wide Association Study
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/9868
- Physical activity attenuates the influence of FTO variants on obesity risk: a meta-analysis of 218,166 adults and 19,268 children.
- Authors: Kilpeläinen TO, Qi L, Brage S, Sharp SJ, Sonestedt E, Demerath E, Ahmad T, Mora S, Kaakinen M, Sandholt CH, Holzapfel C, Autenrieth CS, Hyppönen E, Cauchi S, He M, Kutalik Z, Kumari M, Stančáková A, Meidtner K, Balkau B, Tan JT, Mangino M, Timpson NJ, Song Y, Zillikens MC, Jablonski KA, Garcia ME, Johansson S, Bragg-Gresham JL, Wu Y, van Vliet-Ostaptchouk JV, Onland-Moret NC, Zimmermann E, Rivera NV, Tanaka T, Stringham HM, Silbernagel G, Kanoni S, Feitosa MF, Snitker S, Ruiz JR, Metter J, Larrad MT, Atalay M, Hakanen M, Amin N, Cavalcanti-Proença C, Grøntved A, Hallmans G, Jansson JO, Kuusisto J, Kähönen M, Lutsey PL, Nolan JJ, Palla L, Pedersen O, Pérusse L, Renström F, Scott RA, Shungin D, Sovio U, Tammelin TH, Rönnemaa T, Lakka TA, Uusitupa M, Rios MS, Ferrucci L, Bouchard C, Meirhaeghe A, Fu M, Walker M, Borecki IB, Dedoussis GV, Fritsche A, Ohlsson C, Boehnke M, Bandinelli S, van Duijn CM, Ebrahim S, Lawlor DA, Gudnason V, Harris TB, Sørensen TI, Mohlke KL, Hofman A, Uitterlinden AG, Tuomilehto J, Lehtimäki T, Raitakari O, Isomaa B, Njølstad PR, Florez JC, Liu S, Ness A, Spector TD, Tai ES, Froguel P, Boeing H, Laakso M, Marmot M, Bergmann S, Power C, Khaw KT, Chasman D, Ridker P, Hansen T, Monda KL, Illig T, Järvelin MR, Wareham NJ, Hu FB, Groop LC, Orho-Melander M, Ekelund U, Franks PW, Loos RJ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Physical activity attenuates the effect of the FTO genotype on obesity traits in European adults: The Food4Me study.
- Authors: Celis-Morales C, Marsaux CF, Livingstone KM, Navas-Carretero S, San-Cristobal R, O'donovan CB, Forster H, Woolhead C, Fallaize R, Macready AL, Kolossa S, Hallmann J, Tsirigoti L, Lambrinou CP, Moschonis G, Godlewska M, Surwiłło A, Grimaldi K, Bouwman J, Manios Y, Traczyk I, Drevon CA, Parnell LD, Daniel H, Gibney ER, Brennan L, Walsh MC, Gibney M, Lovegrove JA, Martinez JA, Saris WH, Mathers JC, Food4Me Study.
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Physical activity modifies the FTO effect on body mass index change in Japanese adolescents.
- Authors: Shinozaki K, Okuda M, Okayama N, Kunitsugu I
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Associations of variants in FTO and near MC4R with obesity traits in South Asian Indians.
- Authors: Vasan SK, Fall T, Neville MJ, Antonisamy B, Fall CH, Geethanjali FS, Gu HF, Raghupathy P, Samuel P, Thomas N, Brismar K, Ingelsson E, Karpe F
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Does a short breastfeeding period protect from FTO-induced adiposity in children?
- Authors: Dedoussis GV, Yannakoulia M, Timpson NJ, Manios Y, Kanoni S, Scott RA, Papoutsakis C, Deloukas P, Pitsiladis YP, Davey-Smith G, Hirschhorn JN, Lyon HN
- Issue date: 2011 Jun