Deep coverage whole genome sequences and plasma lipoprotein(a) in individuals of European and African ancestries
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLipoprotein(a), Lp(a), is a modified low-density lipoprotein particle that contains apolipoprotein(a), encoded by LPA, and is a highly heritable, causal risk factor for cardiovascular diseases that varies in concentrations across ancestries. Here, we use deep-coverage whole genome sequencing in 8392 individuals of European and African ancestry to discover and interpret both single-nucleotide variants and copy number (CN) variation associated with Lp(a). We observe that genetic determinants between Europeans and Africans have several unique determinants. The common variant rs12740374 associated with Lp(a) cholesterol is an eQTL for SORT1 and independent of LDL cholesterol. Observed associations of aggregates of rare non-coding variants are largely explained by LPA structural variation, namely the LPA kringle IV 2 (KIV2)-CN. Finally, we find that LPA risk genotypes confer greater relative risk for incident atherosclerotic cardiovascular diseases compared to directly measured Lp(a), and are significantly associated with measures of subclinical atherosclerosis in African Americans. Copyright 2018 The Author(s).
DescriptionAn amendment to this paper has been published and can be accessed at https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-020-15236-6
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85049751193&doi=10.1038%2fs41467-018-04668-w&partnerID=40&md5=b27b75fbe701b4c1c152a3b6ff6d4b21; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9806
- Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in LPA explain most of the ancestry-specific variation in Lp(a) levels in African Americans.
- Authors: Deo RC, Wilson JG, Xing C, Lawson K, Kao WH, Reich D, Tandon A, Akylbekova E, Patterson N, Mosley TH Jr, Boerwinkle E, Taylor HA Jr
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 24
- LPA and PLG sequence variation and kringle IV-2 copy number in two populations.
- Authors: Crawford DC, Peng Z, Cheng JF, Boffelli D, Ahearn M, Nguyen D, Shaffer T, Yi Q, Livingston RJ, Rieder MJ, Nickerson DA
- Issue date: 2008
- Genome- and exome-wide association study of serum lipoprotein (a) in the Jackson Heart Study.
- Authors: Li J, Lange LA, Sabourin J, Duan Q, Valdar W, Willis MS, Li Y, Wilson JG, Lange EM
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- A novel but frequent variant in LPA KIV-2 is associated with a pronounced Lp(a) and cardiovascular risk reduction.
- Authors: Coassin S, Erhart G, Weissensteiner H, Eca Guimarães de Araújo M, Lamina C, Schönherr S, Forer L, Haun M, Losso JL, Köttgen A, Schmidt K, Utermann G, Peters A, Gieger C, Strauch K, Finkenstedt A, Bale R, Zoller H, Paulweber B, Eckardt KU, Hüttenhofer A, Huber LA, Kronenberg F
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 14
- Lipoprotein(a) as a potential causal genetic risk factor of cardiovascular disease: a rationale for increased efforts to understand its pathophysiology and develop targeted therapies.
- Authors: Tsimikas S, Hall JL
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 21