Deep-coverage whole genome sequences and blood lipids among 16,324 individuals
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLarge-scale deep-coverage whole-genome sequencing (WGS) is now feasible and offers potential advantages for locus discovery. We perform WGS in 16,324 participants from four ancestries at mean depth >29X and analyze genotypes with four quantitative traits-plasma total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglycerides. Common variant association yields known loci except for few variants previously poorly imputed. Rare coding variant association yields known Mendelian dyslipidemia genes but rare non-coding variant association detects no signals. A high 2M-SNP LDL-C polygenic score (top 5th percentile) confers similar effect size to a monogenic mutation (~30 mg/dl higher for each); however, among those with severe hypercholesterolemia, 23% have a high polygenic score and only 2% carry a monogenic mutation. At these sample sizes and for these phenotypes, the incremental value of WGS for discovery is limited but WGS permits simultaneous assessment of monogenic and polygenic models to severe hypercholesterolemia. Copyright 2018, The Author(s).
Genome-Wide Association Study
High-Throughput Nucleotide Sequencing
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85052245414&doi=10.1038%2fs41467-018-05747-8&partnerID=40&md5=681d90285a75346c98d0bd2fc236e3aa; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9805
- Whole genome sequence analysis of blood lipid levels in >66,000 individuals.
- Authors: Selvaraj MS, Li X, Li Z, Pampana A, Zhang DY, Park J, Aslibekyan S, Bis JC, Brody JA, Cade BE, Chuang LM, Chung RH, Curran JE, de Las Fuentes L, de Vries PS, Duggirala R, Freedman BI, Graff M, Guo X, Heard-Costa N, Hidalgo B, Hwu CM, Irvin MR, Kelly TN, Kral BG, Lange L, Li X, Lisa M, Lubitz SA, Manichaikul AW, Michael P, Montasser ME, Morrison AC, Naseri T, O'Connell JR, Palmer ND, Peyser PA, Reupena MS, Smith JA, Sun X, Taylor KD, Tracy RP, Tsai MY, Wang Z, Wang Y, Bao W, Wilkins JT, Yanek LR, Zhao W, Arnett DK, Blangero J, Boerwinkle E, Bowden DW, Chen YI, Correa A, Cupples LA, Dutcher SK, Ellinor PT, Fornage M, Gabriel S, Germer S, Gibbs R, He J, Kaplan RC, Kardia SLR, Kim R, Kooperberg C, Loos RJF, Viaud-Martinez KA, Mathias RA, McGarvey ST, Mitchell BD, Nickerson D, North KE, Psaty BM, Redline S, Reiner AP, Vasan RS, Rich SS, Willer C, Rotter JI, Rader DJ, Lin X, NHLBI Trans-Omics for Precision Medicine (TOPMed) Consortium, Peloso GM, Natarajan P
- Issue date: 2022 Oct 11
- Whole-Genome Sequencing to Characterize Monogenic and Polygenic Contributions in Patients Hospitalized With Early-Onset Myocardial Infarction.
- Authors: Khera AV, Chaffin M, Zekavat SM, Collins RL, Roselli C, Natarajan P, Lichtman JH, D'Onofrio G, Mattera J, Dreyer R, Spertus JA, Taylor KD, Psaty BM, Rich SS, Post W, Gupta N, Gabriel S, Lander E, Ida Chen YD, Talkowski ME, Rotter JI, Krumholz HM, Kathiresan S
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 26
- Genetic determinants of blood lipids and cerebral small vessel disease: role of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
- Authors: Georgakis MK, Malik R, Anderson CD, Parhofer KG, Hopewell JC, Dichgans M
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 1
- Genetic loci associated with plasma concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, apolipoprotein A1, and Apolipoprotein B among 6382 white women in genome-wide analysis with replication.
- Authors: Chasman DI, Paré G, Zee RY, Parker AN, Cook NR, Buring JE, Kwiatkowski DJ, Rose LM, Smith JD, Williams PT, Rieder MJ, Rotter JI, Nickerson DA, Krauss RM, Miletich JP, Ridker PM
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Monogenic and polygenic causes of low and extremely low LDL-C levels in patients referred to specialty lipid clinics: Genetics of low LDL-C.
- Authors: Jakubowski B, Shao Y, McNeal C, Xing C, Ahmad Z
- Issue date: 2021 Sep-Oct