Long-term outcomes among 2-year survivors of autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation for Hodgkin and diffuse large b-cell lymphoma
PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation (auto-HCT) is a standard therapy for relapsed classic Hodgkin lymphoma (cHL) and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL); however, long-term outcomes are not well described. METHODS: This study analyzed survival, nonrelapse mortality, late effects, and subsequent malignant neoplasms (SMNs) in 1617 patients who survived progression-free for ?2 years after auto-HCT for cHL or DLBCL between 1990 and 2008. The median age at auto-HCT was 40 years; the median follow-up was 10.6 years. RESULTS: The 5-year overall survival rate was 90% (95% confidence interval [CI], 87%-92%) for patients with cHL and 89% (95% CI, 87%-91%) for patients with DLBCL. The risk of late mortality in comparison with the general population was 9.6-fold higher for patients with cHL (standardized mortality ratio [SMR], 9.6) and 3.4-fold higher for patients with DLBCL (SMR, 3.4). Relapse accounted for 44% of late deaths. At least 1 late effect was reported for 9% of the patients. A total of 105 SMNs were confirmed: 44 in the cHL group and 61 in the DLBCL group. According to a multivariate analysis, older age, male sex, a Karnofsky score < 90, total body irradiation (TBI) exposure, and a higher number of lines of chemotherapy before auto-HCT were risk factors for overall mortality in cHL. Risk factors in DLBCL were older age and TBI exposure. A subanalysis of 798 adolescent and young adult patients mirrored the outcomes of the overall study population. CONCLUSIONS: Despite generally favorable outcomes, 2-year survivors of auto-HCT for cHL or DLBCL have an excess late-mortality risk in comparison with the general population and experience an assortment of late complications. Cancer 2018;124:816-25. Copyright 2017 American Cancer Society. Copyright 2017 American Cancer Society
Keywordautologous hematopoietic cell transplant
diffuse large B-cell lymphoma
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85033592450&doi=10.1002%2fcncr.31114&partnerID=40&md5=ba9a5449b294d0064b824a72d771fc54; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9772
- Early failure of frontline rituximab-containing chemo-immunotherapy in diffuse large B cell lymphoma does not predict futility of autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation.
- Authors: Hamadani M, Hari PN, Zhang Y, Carreras J, Akpek G, Aljurf MD, Ayala E, Bachanova V, Chen AI, Chen YB, Costa LJ, Fenske TS, Freytes CO, Ganguly S, Hertzberg MS, Holmberg LA, Inwards DJ, Kamble RT, Kanfer EJ, Lazarus HM, Marks DI, Nishihori T, Olsson R, Reddy NM, Rizzieri DA, Savani BN, Solh M, Vose JM, Wirk B, Maloney DG, Smith SM, Montoto S, Saber W, Alpdogan O, Cashen A, Dandoy C, Finke R, Gale R, Gibson J, Hsu JW, Janakiraman N, Laughlin MJ, Lill M, Cairo MS, Munker R, Rowlings PA, Schouten HC, Shea TC, Stiff PJ, Waller EK
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Postrelapse survival in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma after therapy failure following autologous transplantation.
- Authors: Epperla N, Badar T, Szabo A, Vaughn J, Borson S, Saini NY, Patel RD, Shah NN, Hamadani M, Ahmed S, Cashen AF, Fenske TS
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 11
- Outcomes of rituximab-BEAM versus BEAM conditioning regimen in patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma undergoing autologous transplantation.
- Authors: Jagadeesh D, Majhail NS, He Y, Ahn KW, Litovich C, Ahmed S, Aljurf M, Bacher U, Badawy SM, Bejanyan N, Cairo M, Cerny J, Epperla N, Farhadfar N, Freytes CO, Gale RP, Haverkos B, Hossain N, Inwards D, Kamble RT, Kenkre VP, Lazarus HM, Lazaryan A, Lekakis L, Mei M, Murthy HS, Mussetti A, Nathan S, Nishihori T, Olsson RF, Ramakrishnan Geethakumari P, Savani BN, Yared JA, Fenske TS, Kharfan-Dabaja MA, Sureda A, Hamadani M
- Issue date: 2020 May 15
- Impact of Routine Surveillance Imaging on Outcomes of Patients With Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma After Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation.
- Authors: Epperla N, Shah N, Hamadani M, Richardson K, Kapke JT, Patel A, Teegavarapu SP, Carrum G, Hari PN, Pingali SR, Karmali R, Fenske TS
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Effect of Routine Surveillance Imaging on the Outcomes of Patients With Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma After Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation.
- Authors: Kapke JT, Epperla N, Shah N, Richardson K, Carrum G, Hari PN, Pingali SR, Hamadani M, Karmali R, Fenske TS
- Issue date: 2017 Jul