Summarizing performance for genome scale measurement of miRNA: Reference samples and metrics
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The potential utility of microRNA as biomarkers for early detection of cancer and other diseases is being investigated with genome-scale profiling of differentially expressed microRNA. Processes for measurement assurance are critical components of genome-scale measurements. Here, we evaluated the utility of a set of total RNA samples, designed with between-sample differences in the relative abundance of miRNAs, as process controls. Results: Three pure total human RNA samples (brain, liver, and placenta) and two different mixtures of these components were evaluated as measurement assurance control samples on multiple measurement systems at multiple sites and over multiple rounds. In silico modeling of mixtures provided benchmark values for comparison with physical mixtures. Biomarker development laboratories using next-generation sequencing (NGS) or genome-scale hybridization assays participated in the study and returned data from the samples using their routine workflows. Multiplexed and single assay reverse-transcription PCR (RT-PCR) was used to confirm in silico predicted sample differences. Data visualizations and summary metrics for genome-scale miRNA profiling assessment were developed using this dataset, and a range of performance was observed. These metrics have been incorporated into an online data analysis pipeline and provide a convenient dashboard view of results from experiments following the described design. The website also serves as a repository for the accumulation of performance values providing new participants in the project an opportunity to learn what may be achievable with similar measurement processes. Conclusions: The set of reference samples used in this study provides benchmark values suitable for assessing genome-scale miRNA profiling processes. Incorporation of these metrics into an online resource allows laboratories to periodically evaluate their performance and assess any changes introduced into their measurement process. Copyright 2018 The Author(s).
SponsorsThe work presented in this manuscript is jointly designed, executed and written under the auspices of an Interagency Agency Agreement between the National Cancer Institute and the National Institute of Standards and Technology, both of which are Federal Agencies supported by the funds from US Government. Additional funding comes from NCI-EDRN Grant numbers: U01CA214182, U01CA214195, U24CA115091. Part of the work was performed at JPL/Caltech under the contract to NASA, and at the Center for Data-Driven Discovery, Caltech.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85043397154&doi=10.1186%2fs12864-018-4496-1&partnerID=40&md5=f1fe878319da5596311a74f6fe29cbf9; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9755
- Cell-based reference samples designed with specific differences in microRNA biomarkers.
- Authors: Pine PS, Lund SP, Stass SA, Kukuruga D, Jiang F, Sorbara L, Srivastava S, Salit M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 20
- Assessing technical performance in differential gene expression experiments with external spike-in RNA control ratio mixtures.
- Authors: Munro SA, Lund SP, Pine PS, Binder H, Clevert DA, Conesa A, Dopazo J, Fasold M, Hochreiter S, Hong H, Jafari N, Kreil DP, Łabaj PP, Li S, Liao Y, Lin SM, Meehan J, Mason CE, Santoyo-Lopez J, Setterquist RA, Shi L, Shi W, Smyth GK, Stralis-Pavese N, Su Z, Tong W, Wang C, Wang J, Xu J, Ye Z, Yang Y, Yu Y, Salit M
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 25
- Evaluation of the External RNA Controls Consortium (ERCC) reference material using a modified Latin square design.
- Authors: Pine PS, Munro SA, Parsons JR, McDaniel J, Lucas AB, Lozach J, Myers TG, Su Q, Jacobs-Helber SM, Salit M
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 24
- Comparison of hepatocellular carcinoma miRNA expression profiling as evaluated by next generation sequencing and microarray.
- Authors: Murakami Y, Tanahashi T, Okada R, Toyoda H, Kumada T, Enomoto M, Tamori A, Kawada N, Taguchi YH, Azuma T
- Issue date: 2014
- Evaluation of methodologies for microRNA biomarker detection by next generation sequencing.
- Authors: Coenen-Stass AML, Magen I, Brooks T, Ben-Dov IZ, Greensmith L, Hornstein E, Fratta P
- Issue date: 2018