A Single Dose of Modified Vaccinia Ankara expressing Ebola Virus Like Particles Protects Nonhuman Primates from Lethal Ebola Virus Challenge
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEbola virus (EBOV), isolate Makona, was the causative agent of the West African epidemic devastating predominantly Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone from 2013-2016. While several experimental vaccine and treatment approaches have been accelerated through human clinical trials, there is still no approved countermeasure available against this disease. Here, we report the construction and preclinical efficacy testing of a novel recombinant modified vaccinia Ankara (MVA)-based vaccine expressing the EBOV-Makona glycoprotein GP and matrix protein VP40 (MVA-EBOV). GP and VP40 form EBOV-like particles and elicit protective immune responses. In this study, we report 100% protection against lethal EBOV infection in Guinea pigs after prime/boost vaccination with MVA-EBOV. Furthermore, this MVA-EBOV protected macaques from lethal disease after a single dose or prime/boost vaccination. The vaccine elicited a variety of antibody responses to both antigens, including neutralizing antibodies and antibodies with antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxic activity specific for GP. This is the first report that a replication-deficient MVA vector can confer full protection against lethal EBOV challenge after a single dose vaccination in macaques. Copyright 2018 The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85040942560&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-017-19041-y&partnerID=40&md5=3fc63631373b530663ed461ddec76976; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9667
- Recombinant Modified Vaccinia Virus Ankara Generating Ebola Virus-Like Particles.
- Authors: Schweneker M, Laimbacher AS, Zimmer G, Wagner S, Schraner EM, Wolferstätter M, Klingenberg M, Dirmeier U, Steigerwald R, Lauterbach H, Hochrein H, Chaplin P, Suter M, Hausmann J
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Distinct Immunogenicity and Efficacy of Poxvirus-Based Vaccine Candidates against Ebola Virus Expressing GP and VP40 Proteins.
- Authors: Lázaro-Frías A, Gómez-Medina S, Sánchez-Sampedro L, Ljungberg K, Ustav M, Liljeström P, Muñoz-Fontela C, Esteban M, García-Arriaza J
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 1
- Ebolavirus Glycoprotein Fc Fusion Protein Protects Guinea Pigs against Lethal Challenge.
- Authors: Konduru K, Shurtleff AC, Bradfute SB, Nakamura S, Bavari S, Kaplan G
- Issue date: 2016
- A Bivalent, Spherical Virus-Like Particle Vaccine Enhances Breadth of Immune Responses against Pathogenic Ebola Viruses in Rhesus Macaques.
- Authors: Singh K, Marasini B, Chen X, Ding L, Wang JJ, Xiao P, Villinger F, Spearman P
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 16
- Vaccination With a Highly Attenuated Recombinant Vesicular Stomatitis Virus Vector Protects Against Challenge With a Lethal Dose of Ebola Virus.
- Authors: Matassov D, Marzi A, Latham T, Xu R, Ota-Setlik A, Feldmann F, Geisbert JB, Mire CE, Hamm S, Nowak B, Egan MA, Geisbert TW, Eldridge JH, Feldmann H, Clarke DK
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1