Therapeutic and transmission-blocking efficacy of dihydroartemisinin/ piperaquine and chloroquine against Plasmodium vivax Malaria, Cambodia
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
PublisherCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe assessed the efficacy of standard 3-day courses of chloroquine and dihydroartemisinin/piperaquine against Plasmodium vivax malaria. Compared with chloroquine, dihydroartemisinin/piperaquine was faster in clearing asexual P. vivax parasites and blocking human-to-mosquito transmission. This drug combination was also more effective in preventing potential recurrences for >2 months. Copyright 2018, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis study was supported by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health (grant R01 434 A103328) and the Institut Pasteur (grant PTR 2014-490). A.V. was supported by a Calmette and Yersin fellowship from the Institut Pasteur International Network.
Drug Therapy, Combination
Malaria, Vivax--prevention & control
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85050398698&doi=10.3201%2feid2408.170768&partnerID=40&md5=5446b825781354cdb60ad5902847f51a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9468
- Susceptibility of Plasmodium falciparum to artemisinins and Plasmodium vivax to chloroquine in Phuoc Chien Commune, Ninh Thuan Province, south-central Vietnam.
- Authors: Phong NC, Chavchich M, Quang HH, San NN, Birrell GW, Chuang I, Martin NJ, Manh ND, Edstein MD
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 17
- A Randomized Comparison of Chloroquine Versus Dihydroartemisinin-Piperaquine for the Treatment of Plasmodium vivax Infection in Vietnam.
- Authors: Thuan PD, Ca NTN, Van Toi P, Nhien NTT, Thanh NV, Anh ND, Phu NH, Thai CQ, Thai LH, Hoa NT, Dong LT, Loi MA, Son DH, Khanh TTN, Dolecek C, Nhan HT, Wolbers M, Thwaites G, Farrar J, White NJ, Hien TT
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine versus chloroquine to treat vivax malaria in Afghanistan: an open randomized, non-inferiority, trial.
- Authors: Awab GR, Pukrittayakamee S, Imwong M, Dondorp AM, Woodrow CJ, Lee SJ, Day NP, Singhasivanon P, White NJ, Kaker F
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 21
- Efficacy of dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax in Cambodia, 2008 to 2010.
- Authors: Leang R, Barrette A, Bouth DM, Menard D, Abdur R, Duong S, Ringwald P
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Efficacy of artemether-lumefantrine and dihydroartemisinin-piperaquine for the treatment of uncomplicated malaria in Papua New Guinea.
- Authors: Tavul L, Hetzel MW, Teliki A, Walsh D, Kiniboro B, Rare L, Pulford J, Siba PM, Karl S, Makita L, Robinson L, Kattenberg JH, Laman M, Oswyn G, Mueller I
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 5