Fc-apelin fusion protein attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injury in mice
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractApelin is a peptide hormone with anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory activities and is proposed to be a potential therapeutic for many disease conditions, including sepsis. However, short in vivo half-life of the apelin peptide would limit its potential clinical applications. This study aims to investigate the effects of Fc-apelin, a novel long-acting apelin fusion protein, on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced liver injury. Liver injury was induced by systemic injection of LPS in mice. Hepatoprotective activities of Fc-apelin against inflammation were evaluated in LPS mice and/or hepatoma Huh-7 cells with respect to serum ALT, apoptosis, oxidative stress, macrophage infiltration and gene expression. We found that LPS induced systemic inflammation and liver damage. Co-administration of Fc-apelin significantly attenuated serum ALT elevation, diminished LPS-induced apoptosis and ROS production in the liver and in Huh-7 cells, mitigated hepatic macrophage infiltration, and reduced TNFα and IL-6 gene expression. Collectively, Fc-apelin fusion protein exerts protective effects against LPS-induced liver damage and may serve as a potential therapeutic for endotoxin-induced liver injury. Copyright 2018, The Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85050812166&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-018-29491-7&partnerID=40&md5=a160aa9abcc500bfb1f98dec97ccc6ef; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9455
- Fc-Elabela fusion protein attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced kidney injury in mice.
- Authors: Xu F, Zhou H, Wu M, Zhang H, Zhang Y, Zhao Q, Brown R, Gong DW, Miao L
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 30
- Apelin-13 Administration Protects Against LPS-Induced Acute Lung Injury by Inhibiting NF-κB Pathway and NLRP3 Inflammasome Activation.
- Authors: Zhang H, Chen S, Zeng M, Lin D, Wang Y, Wen X, Xu C, Yang L, Fan X, Gong Y, Zhang H, Kong X
- Issue date: 2018
- Preventive effects of interleukin-6 in lipopolysaccharide/d-galactosamine induced acute liver injury via regulating inflammatory response in hepatic macrophages.
- Authors: Li L, Duan C, Zhao Y, Zhang X, Yin H, Wang T, Huang C, Liu S, Yang S, Li X
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Hepatic and cardiac beneficial effects of a long-acting Fc-apelin fusion protein in diet-induced obese mice.
- Authors: Wang W, Zhang D, Yang R, Xia W, Qian K, Shi Z, Brown R, Zhou H, Xi Y, Shi L, Chen L, Xu F, Sun X, Zhu D, Gong DW
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Role of α-lipoic acid in LPS/d-GalN induced fulminant hepatic failure in mice: studies on oxidative stress, inflammation and apoptosis.
- Authors: Xia X, Su C, Fu J, Zhang P, Jiang X, Xu D, Hu L, Song E, Song Y
- Issue date: 2014 Oct