Liposomes: Clinical applications and potential for image-guided drug delivery
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiposomes have been extensively studied and are used in the treatment of several diseases. Liposomes improve the therapeutic efficacy by enhancing drug absorption while avoiding or minimizing rapid degradation and side effects, prolonging the biological half-life and reducing toxicity. The unique feature of liposomes is that they are biocompatible and biodegradable lipids, and are inert and non-immunogenic. Liposomes can compartmentalize and solubilize both hydrophilic and hydrophobic materials. All these properties of liposomes and their flexibility for surface modification to add targeting moieties make liposomes more attractive candidates for use as drug delivery vehicles. There are many novel liposomal formulations that are in various stages of development, to enhance therapeutic effectiveness of new and established drugs that are in preclinical and clinical trials. Recent developments in multimodality imaging to better diagnose disease and monitor treatments embarked on using liposomes as diagnostic tool. Conjugating liposomes with different labeling probes enables precise localization of these liposomal formulations using various modalities such as PET, SPECT, and MRI. In this review, we will briefly review the clinical applications of liposomal formulation and their potential imaging properties. Copyright 2018 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85041627928&doi=10.3390%2fmolecules23020288&partnerID=40&md5=3cdc22bab91ca4a3cde121105c493878; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9390
- Multifunctional liposomes for MRI and image-guided drug delivery.
- Authors: Langereis S, Hijnen N, Strijkers G, Nicolay K, Grüll H
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Liposome-based probes for molecular imaging: from basic research to the bedside.
- Authors: Xia Y, Xu C, Zhang X, Ning P, Wang Z, Tian J, Chen X
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 28
- Radionuclide imaging of liposomal drug delivery.
- Authors: van der Geest T, Laverman P, Metselaar JM, Storm G, Boerman OC
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Metal complex-based liposomes: Applications and prospects in cancer diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Authors: Wang Z, Li J, Lin G, He Z, Wang Y
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- The use and importance of liposomes in positron emission tomography.
- Authors: Silindir M, Özer AY, Erdoğan S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan