Allosteric regulators selectively prevent Ca2+-feedback of CaV and NaV channels
PublishereLife Sciences Publications Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCalmodulin (CaM) serves as a pervasive regulatory subunit of Ca V 1, Ca V 2, and Na V 1 channels, exploiting a functionally conserved carboxy-tail element to afford dynamic Ca 2+ -feedback of cellular excitability in neurons and cardiomyocytes. Yet this modularity counters functional adaptability, as global changes in ambient CaM indiscriminately alter its targets. Here, we demonstrate that two structurally unrelated proteins, SH3 and cysteine-rich domain (stac) and fibroblast growth factor homologous factors (fhf) selectively diminish Ca 2+ /CaM-regulation of Ca V 1 and Na V 1 families, respectively. The two proteins operate on allosteric sites within upstream portions of respective channel carboxy-tails, distinct from the CaM-binding interface. Generalizing this mechanism, insertion of a short RxxK binding motif into Ca V 1.3 carboxy-tail confers synthetic switching of CaM regulation by Mona SH3 domain. Overall, our findings identify a general class of auxiliary proteins that modify Ca 2+ /CaM signaling to individual targets allowing spatial and temporal orchestration of feedback, and outline strategies for engineering Ca 2+ /CaM signaling to individual targets. Copyright Niu et al.
SponsorsThis work was supported by grants from NINDS (DTY, IED, TI), NIMH (DTY, MBJ), NHLBI (GFT) and NSF (JN).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85055617349&doi=10.7554%2feLife.35222&partnerID=40&md5=3fe5951e47b58e113f8c68a76b9ac122; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9293
- Bilobal architecture is a requirement for calmodulin signaling to Ca<sub>V</sub>1.3 channels.
- Authors: Banerjee R, Yoder JB, Yue DT, Amzel LM, Tomaselli GF, Gabelli SB, Ben-Johny M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 27
- STAC proteins associate to the IQ domain of Ca<sub>V</sub>1.2 and inhibit calcium-dependent inactivation.
- Authors: Campiglio M, Costé de Bagneaux P, Ortner NJ, Tuluc P, Van Petegem F, Flucher BE
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 6
- Crystal structure of the ternary complex of a NaV C-terminal domain, a fibroblast growth factor homologous factor, and calmodulin.
- Authors: Wang C, Chung BC, Yan H, Lee SY, Pitt GS
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 3
- A modular switch for spatial Ca2+ selectivity in the calmodulin regulation of CaV channels.
- Authors: Dick IE, Tadross MR, Liang H, Tay LH, Yang W, Yue DT
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 14
- Current view on regulation of voltage-gated sodium channels by calcium and auxiliary proteins.
- Authors: Pitt GS, Lee SY
- Issue date: 2016 Sep