Novel self-etching and antibacterial orthodontic adhesive containing dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate to inhibit enamel demineralization
JournalDental Materials Journal
PublisherJapanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEnamel demineralization is one of the most undesired side effects of fixed orthodontic treatment, which will lead to white spot lesions (WSLs) on tooth surfaces. The development of WSLs is due to prolonged accumulation of bacterial plaque and associated acid production. Self-etching adhesives have been used in orthodontic treatments with several advantages over the more traditional acid-etch method. However, current self-etching adhesives in orthodontic treatments have no antibacterial activity. The objectives of this study were to develop a self-etching and antibacterial orthodontic adhesive, and to investigate its enamel bond strength and antibacterial properties. A novel quaternary ammonium monomer dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate (DMAHDM) was incorporated into a commercial self-etching adhesive (Adper Easy One, 3M). It showed that the 5% DMAHDM appeared to be optimal in obtaining the strongest antibacterial function without compromising the enamel bond strength both at 15 min and after 30 days of immersion plus thermal cycling. Copyright 2018, Japanese Society for Dental Materials and Devices. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis study was supported by Natural Science
Human saliva microcosm biofilm
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85050864529&doi=10.4012%2fdmj.2017-286&partnerID=40&md5=94dcf864a4d99fcd3c852d90818f0872; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9266
- Novel self-etch adhesive with antibacterial and protein-repellent functions to prevent enamel demineralization.
- Authors: Wang B, Zhang N, Wang X, Park SR, Weir MD, Oates TW, Xu HHK, Bai Y
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 30
- Novel multifunctional dental cement to prevent enamel demineralization near orthodontic brackets.
- Authors: Ma Y, Zhang N, Weir MD, Bai Y, Xu HHK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Novel antibacterial orthodontic cement containing quaternary ammonium monomer dimethylaminododecyl methacrylate.
- Authors: Melo MA, Wu J, Weir MD, Xu HH
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Novel orthodontic cement containing dimethylaminohexadecyl methacrylate with strong antibacterial capability.
- Authors: Feng X, Zhang N, Xu HHK, Weir MD, Melo MAS, Bai Y, Zhang K
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 26
- Effect of antibacterial monomer-containing adhesive on enamel demineralization around orthodontic brackets: an in-vivo study.
- Authors: Uysal T, Amasyali M, Ozcan S, Koyuturk AE, Sagdic D
- Issue date: 2011 May