Natural products for the treatment of autoimmune arthritis: Their mechanisms of action, targeted delivery, and interplay with the host microbiome
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic, debilitating illness characterized by painful swelling of the joints, inflammation of the synovial lining of the joints, and damage to cartilage and bone. Several anti-inflammatory and disease-modifying drugs are available for RA therapy. However, the prolonged use of these drugs is associated with severe side effects. Furthermore, these drugs are effective only in a proportion of RA patients. Hence, there is a need to search for new therapeutic agents that are effective yet safe. Interestingly, a variety of herbs and other natural products offer a vast resource for such anti-arthritic agents. We discuss here the basic features of RA pathogenesis; the commonly used animal models of RA; the mainstream drugs used for RA; the use of well-characterized natural products possessing anti-arthritic activity; the application of nanoparticles for efficient delivery of such products; and the interplay between dietary products and the host microbiome for maintenance of health and disease induction. We believe that with several advances in the past decade in the characterization and functional studies of natural products, the stage is set for widespread clinical testing and/or use of these products for the treatment of RA and other diseases. Copyright 2018 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85052494425&doi=10.3390%2fijms19092508&partnerID=40&md5=3cb1e281825db05d15d14610dde531b6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9224
- Control of autoimmune inflammation by celastrol, a natural triterpenoid.
- Authors: Venkatesha SH, Dudics S, Astry B, Moudgil KD
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Pristimerin, a naturally occurring triterpenoid, protects against autoimmune arthritis by modulating the cellular and soluble immune mediators of inflammation and tissue damage.
- Authors: Tong L, Nanjundaiah SM, Venkatesha SH, Astry B, Yu H, Moudgil KD
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Celastrus and its bioactive celastrol protect against bone damage in autoimmune arthritis by modulating osteoimmune cross-talk.
- Authors: Nanjundaiah SM, Venkatesha SH, Yu H, Tong L, Stains JP, Moudgil KD
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 22
- Herbal medicinal products target defined biochemical and molecular mediators of inflammatory autoimmune arthritis.
- Authors: Venkatesha SH, Berman BM, Moudgil KD
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 1
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic effects of Guge Fengtong Formula: in vitro and in vivo studies.
- Authors: Cheng XL, Liu XG, Wang Q, Zhou L, Qi LW, Li P, Liu EH
- Issue date: 2015 Nov