Pathogen Identification Direct From Polymicrobial Specimens Using Membrane Glycolipids
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith the increased prevalence of multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria, the use of colistin and other last-line antimicrobials is being revisited clinically. As a result, there has been an emergence of colistin-resistant bacterial species, including Acinetobacter baumannii and Klebsiella pneumoniae. The rapid identification of such pathogens is vitally important for the effective treatment of patients. We previously demonstrated that mass spectrometry of bacterial glycolipids has the capacity to identify and detect colistin resistance in a variety of bacterial species. In this study, we present a machine learning paradigm that is capable of identifying A. baumannii, K. pneumoniae and their colistin-resistant forms using a manually curated dataset of lipid mass spectra from 48 additional Gram-positive and -negative organisms. We demonstrate that these classifiers detect A. baumannii and K. pneumoniae in isolate and polymicrobial specimens, establishing a framework to translate glycolipid mass spectra into pathogen identifications. Copyright 2018, The Author(s).
Drug Resistance, Bacterial
Mass Spectrometry, Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption-Ionization
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85055613456&doi=10.1038%2fs41598-018-33681-8&partnerID=40&md5=3b6e7a1639f04f128e61af2755851ba3; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9196
- Carbapenem and multidrug resistance in Gram-negative bacteria in a single centre in Italy: considerations on in vitro assay of active drugs.
- Authors: Mezzatesta ML, Caio C, Gona F, Cormaci R, Salerno I, Zingali T, Denaro C, Gennaro M, Quattrone C, Stefani S
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- In vitro synergy of colistin combinations against colistin-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates.
- Authors: Vidaillac C, Benichou L, Duval RE
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- A Prospective Study of <i>Acinetobacter baumannii</i> Complex Isolates and Colistin Susceptibility Monitoring by Mass Spectrometry of Microbial Membrane Glycolipids.
- Authors: Leung LM, McElheny CL, Gardner FM, Chandler CE, Bowler SL, Mettus RT, Spychala CN, Fowler EL, Opene BNA, Myers RA, Goodlett DR, Doi Y, Ernst RK
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Risk factors associated with the isolation of colistin-resistant gram-negative bacteria: a matched case-control study.
- Authors: Matthaiou DK, Michalopoulos A, Rafailidis PI, Karageorgopoulos DE, Papaioannou V, Ntani G, Samonis G, Falagas ME
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Preservation of Acquired Colistin Resistance in Gram-Negative Bacteria.
- Authors: Lee JY, Choi MJ, Choi HJ, Ko KS
- Issue date: 2016 Jan