Histologic comparison of direct pulp capping of rat molars with mta and different concentrations of simvastatin gel
JournalJournal of Oral Science
PublisherNihon University, School of Dentistry
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious in vitro studies have suggested that simvastatin can be used as a direct pulp capping material due to its ability to induce odontoblastic differentiation and angiogenesis. The aim of this animal study was to evaluate the pulpal response to mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA) and four concentrations of simvastatin/MTA in combination. The study was conducted in two stages using four different simvastatin concentrations and MTA as a capping material for rat maxillary molars. The grades of inflammation and continuity of dentin formation were evaluated in hematoxylin and eosin (HE)-stained samples. Dentin thickness was determined by histomorphometric analysis, and the data were subjected to statistical analysis. On day 3, mild inflammation was observed in all groups. On day 7, the simvastatin groups showed a slightly higher rate of chronic inflammation. Inflammation was not present on day 30. Discontinuous dentin was present in all methylcellulose (control) samples. Continuous dentin was formed in all of the samples treated with 1.5% simvastatin. The greatest dentin thickness was observed after treatment with 1.5% simvastatin and MTA, followed by 0.5% simvastatin. Statistical analysis demonstrated no significant differences in dentin thickness and continuity between MTA and simvastatin at 0.5% and 1.5% (P > 0.05). Copyright 2018, Nihon University, School of Dentistry. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85044259647&doi=10.2334%2fjosnusd.16-0690&partnerID=40&md5=7550f269b99a3f36892cc532b06ed059; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9107
- Pulpal Responses to Direct Capping with Betamethasone/Gentamicin Cream and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: Histologic and Micro-Computed Tomography Assessments.
- Authors: AlShwaimi E, Majeed A, Ali AA
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Direct Pulp Capping with Calcium Hydroxide or Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: A Meta-analysis.
- Authors: Li Z, Cao L, Fan M, Xu Q
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Tomographic Evaluation of Reparative Dentin Formation after Direct Pulp Capping with Ca(OH)2, MTA, Biodentine, and Dentin Bonding System in Human Teeth.
- Authors: Nowicka A, Wilk G, Lipski M, Kołecki J, Buczkowska-Radlińska J
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Immunolocalization of fibronectin during reparative dentinogenesis in rat molor teeth after pulp capping with mineral trioxide aggregate or calcium hydroxide.
- Authors: Bal C, Oztas N, Cincik M, Baris E
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- [Using mineral trioxide aggregate as a direct pulp-capping material in dogs].
- Authors: Zhu YQ, Xia L
- Issue date: 2003 Feb