Retrospective evaluation of factors related to the outcomes of regenerative therapy for implants affected by peri-implantitis
JournalInternational Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry
PublisherQuintessence Publishing Co. Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this retrospective study was to examine the histories of 100 patients with 170 implants that were consecutively treated and reported in a previous study to identify which patient and implant factors might have affected the outcomes of therapy. Patient factors included history of periodontitis, hypertension, cardiac problems, rheumatoid arthritis, smoking, and penicillin allergy. Implant factors included whether the prosthesis was cemented or screw retained and initial bone loss (? 50% or > 50% of implant length). Frequency of maintenance visits (? 3 months or > 3 months) were recorded, as was patient age (? 60 years or > 60 years). On the patient level, only postoperative maintenance (? 3 months) showed a statistically significant effect on radiographic bone gain (RBG) compared to patients with > 3 months maintenance frequency. Nondiabetic patients showed a trend toward soft tissue gain. On an implant level, screw-retained prostheses demonstrated a statistically significant RBG compared to those with cement-retained prostheses. Significant favorable differences were seen in all outcomes when evaluating presurgical bone level loss (> 50% of the implant length). Further studies with larger groups of patients are necessary to substantiate the findings in this report. Copyright 2018 by Quintessence Publishing Co Inc.
SponsorsThe authors would like to thank Dr Malvin N. Janal, faculty at Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, for his assistance in the preparation of the statistics shown in this manuscript. The authors reported no conflicts of interest related to this study.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85043335615&doi=10.11607%2fprd.3489&partnerID=40&md5=025fa0d4ea954f6430ae813b4cdd57c3; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9106
- Peri-implant bone loss in cement- and screw-retained prostheses: systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: de Brandão ML, Vettore MV, Vidigal Júnior GM
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Peri-implantitis in partially edentulous patients: association with inadequate plaque control.
- Authors: Serino G, Ström C
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- The incidence of peri-implantitis for two different implant systems over a period of thirteen years.
- Authors: Renvert S, Lindahl C, Rutger Persson G
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Peri-Implantitis Associated with Type of Cement: A Retrospective Analysis of Different Types of Cement and Their Clinical Correlation to the Peri-Implant Tissue.
- Authors: Korsch M, Walther W
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Nonsurgical Management of Peri-implant Bone Loss Induced by Residual Cement: Retrospective Analysis of Six Cases.
- Authors: De Martinis Terra E, Berardini M, Trisi P
- Issue date: 2019 January/February