Algorithm to Manage Inconclusive RBC Antibodies by Reflex Manual Testing
JournalAmerican Journal of Clinical Pathology
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjectives: Inconclusive RBC antibody identification (ABID) may delay RBC crossmatch. An increased number of inconclusive ABID was observed, and an algorithm was developed to improve ABID efficiency. Methods: RBC antibody screen (AS) and ABID were initially performed using solid-phase RBC adherence assay (SPRCA) and manual tube method. A retrospective analysis of AS and ABID results was performed pre- and postalgorithm implementation. Results: The number of inconclusive ABID results decreased from 26 to six per month pre- and postimplementation, respectively. SPRCA became the primary AS method, and manual tube became the gold standard for ABID. SPRCA was used for ABID upon reference specialist secondary review and allowed identification of 30 specific RBC antibodies, for which no patients developed signs or symptoms of a hemolytic transfusion reaction. Conclusions: RBC reference workflow using SPRCA and manual tube methods for AS and ABID decreases �inconclusive� ABID without adverse events. Copyright American Society for Clinical Pathology, 2017. All rights reserved.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85042230577&doi=10.1093%2fAJCP%2fAQX109&partnerID=40&md5=322b69c435508f199d4ecc5335824030; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9104
- Anti-Jk<sup>a</sup> that are detected by solid-phase red blood cell adherence but missed by gel testing can cause hemolytic transfusion reactions.
- Authors: Kay B, Poisson JL, Tuma CW, Shulman IA
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Optimizing pretransfusion antibody detection and identification: a parallel, blinded comparison of tube PEG, solid-phase, and automated methods.
- Authors: Bunker ML, Thomas CL, Geyer SJ
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Performance of an automated solid-phase red cell adherence system compared with that of a manual gel microcolumn assay for the identification of antibodies eluted from red blood cells.
- Authors: Finck RH, Davis RJ, Teng S, Goldfinger D, Ziman AF, Lu Q, Yuan S
- Issue date: 2011
- Increased alloimmunisation and transfusion reaction reporting in patients with solid-phase panreactivity.
- Authors: Olofson AM, Chandler RM, Marx-Wood CR, Babcock CA, Dunbar NM
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Identification of previous erythrocyte alloimmunization and the type and screen at a large cancer center. A 4-year retrospective review.
- Authors: Havemann H, Lichtiger B
- Issue date: 1992 Jan 1