JournalClinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology
PublisherAmerican Society of Nephrology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEnsuring patient safety is a priority of medical care because iatrogenic injury has been a primary concern. Medications are an important source ofmedical errors, and kidney disease is a thoroughfare of factors threatening safe administration of medicines. Principal among these is reduced kidney function because almost half of all medications used are eliminated via the kidney. Additionally, kidney patients often suffer from multimorbidity, including diabetes, hypertension, and heart failure, with a range of prescribers who often do not coordinate treatments. Patients with kidney disease are also susceptible to further kidney injury andmetabolic derangements from medications, which can worsen the disease. In this review, we will present the key issues and threats to safe medication use in kidney disease, with a focus on predialysis CKD, as the scope of medication safety in ESKD and transplantation are unique and deserve their own consideration. We discuss drugs that need to be avoided or dose modified, and reviewthe complications of a range ofmedications routinely administered in CKD, as these also call for cautious use. Copyright 2018 by the American Society of Nephrology.
SponsorsThis work was supported by Baltimore Veterans Affairs Patient Safety Center of Inquiry which is funded by the Veterans Affairs National Patient Center for Patient Safety in White River Junction, Vermont.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85054559361&doi=10.2215%2fCJN.00580118&partnerID=40&md5=3f68e81bdf1a837c0e95d89cc90f18ad; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/9026
- Nephrotoxic Medication Exposure in U.S. Adults with Predialysis Chronic Kidney Disease: Health Services Utilization and Cost Outcomes.
- Authors: Davis-Ajami ML, Fink JC, Wu J
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Adverse safety events in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Authors: Offurum A, Wagner LA, Gooden T
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Medical Error Prevention
- Authors: Rodziewicz TL, Hipskind JE
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Safety of medical therapy in patients with chronic kidney disease and end-stage renal disease.
- Authors: Weir MR, Fink JC
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Optimal medication dosing in patients with diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney disease.
- Authors: MacCallum L
- Issue date: 2014 Oct