Global influenza seasonality to inform country-level vaccine programs: An analysis of WHO FluNet influenza surveillance data between 2011 and 2016
PublisherPublic Library of Science
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy analyzing publicly available surveillance data from 2011-2016, we produced country-specific estimates of seasonal influenza activity for 118 countries in the six World Health Organization regions. Overall, the average country influenza activity period was 4.7 months. Our analysis characterized 100 countries (85%) with one influenza peak season, 13 (11%) with two influenza peak seasons, and five (4%) with year-round influenza activity. Surveillance data were limited for many countries. These data provide national estimates of influenza activity, which may guide planning for influenza vaccination implementation, program timing and duration, and policy development. This is an open access article, free of all copyright, and may be freely reproduced, distributed, transmitted, modified, built upon, or otherwise used by anyone for any lawful purpose. The work is made available under the Creative Commons CC0 public domain dedication.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85042305992&doi=10.1371%2fjournal.pone.0193263&partnerID=40&md5=9ba200fae86dfcd3598e8d947cca6f72; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8961
- Epidemiology and timing of seasonal influenza epidemics in the Asia-Pacific region, 2010-2017: implications for influenza vaccination programs.
- Authors: El Guerche-Séblain C, Caini S, Paget J, Vanhems P, Schellevis F
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 21
- Influenza in the Asia-Pacific region: Findings and recommendations from the Global Influenza Initiative.
- Authors: Cowling BJ, Caini S, Chotpitayasunondh T, Djauzi S, Gatchalian SR, Huang QS, Koul PA, Lee PI, Muttalif AR, Plotkin S, Global Influenza Initiative.
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 7
- Influenza Seasonality in the Tropics and Subtropics - When to Vaccinate?
- Authors: Hirve S, Newman LP, Paget J, Azziz-Baumgartner E, Fitzner J, Bhat N, Vandemaele K, Zhang W
- Issue date: 2016
- Strengthening the influenza vaccine virus selection and development process: Report of the 3rd WHO Informal Consultation for Improving Influenza Vaccine Virus Selection held at WHO headquarters, Geneva, Switzerland, 1-3 April 2014.
- Authors: Ampofo WK, Azziz-Baumgartner E, Bashir U, Cox NJ, Fasce R, Giovanni M, Grohmann G, Huang S, Katz J, Mironenko A, Mokhtari-Azad T, Sasono PM, Rahman M, Sawanpanyalert P, Siqueira M, Waddell AL, Waiboci L, Wood J, Zhang W, Ziegler T, WHO Writing Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 26
- A global map of hemispheric influenza vaccine recommendations based on local patterns of viral circulation.
- Authors: Alonso WJ, Yu C, Viboud C, Richard SA, Schuck-Paim C, Simonsen L, Mello WA, Miller MA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1