Extrapulmonary sequestration with a left internal thoracic arterial feeding vessel in an infant treated with video-assisted Thoracoscopic resection: A case report
JournalJournal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: Congenital lung malformations exist along a spectrum of pathogenesis and disease severity. Extrapulmonary sequestration (EPS), in which nonfunctional lung tissue develops without connection to the tracheobronchial tree, is one rare manifestation of this disease. Atypical vascular anatomy with a systemic feeding vessel characterizes these lesions. Case presentation: A 3 day old, 37 week gestation infant underwent chest X-ray for confirmation of umbilical catheter placement and was found to have an elevated left hemidiaphragm consistent with eventration versus congenital diaphragmatic hernia. He remained asymptomatic and was evaluated as an outpatient at the age of 9 months, where CT angiogram demonstrated extrapulmonary versus intrapulmonary sequestration with a systemic feeding vessel from the left internal mammary artery. Conclusions: It is exceedingly rare for the feeding artery to arise from the internal mammary; two such cases have been reported to date, both in adult patients. Here we present a third case of EPS with arterial supply from the internal mammary successfully treated with video-assisted thoracoscopic resection in a 9 month old infant. Copyright 2018 The Author(s).
Internal thoracic artery
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85050302062&doi=10.1186%2fs13019-018-0775-9&partnerID=40&md5=402bf02319789efdaa346f7f2b33ec43; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8884
- Intrapulmonary sequestration with arterial supply from the left internal thoracic artery: a case report.
- Authors: Hattori Y, Negi K, Takeda I, Iriyama T, Sugimura S, Watanabe K
- Issue date: 2000 Apr
- Single-incision video-assisted thoracic resection for extrapulmonary sequestration: a case report.
- Authors: Tamura M, Shimizu Y, Hashizume Y
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 24
- Extralobar sequestration with a pulmonary arterial feeding vessel.
- Authors: Nakamura D, Kondo R, Makiuchi A, Itagaki H
- Issue date: 2021 Jan
- Presentation and management of pulmonary sequestration with total visceral inflow and outflow.
- Authors: Sudduth CL, Hill SJ, Raval MV
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- [Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for ligation of anomalous systemic arterial supply to pulmonary sequestration].
- Authors: Ishibashi H, Ohta S, Hirose M, Tanio N, Nakajima N
- Issue date: 2007 Aug