Association study in African-admixed populations across the Americas recapitulates asthma risk loci in non-African populations
PublisherNature Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAsthma is a complex disease with striking disparities across racial and ethnic groups. Despite its relatively high burden, representation of individuals of African ancestry in asthma genome-wide association studies (GWAS) has been inadequate, and true associations in these underrepresented minority groups have been inconclusive. We report the results of a genome-wide meta-analysis from the Consortium on Asthma among African Ancestry Populations (CAAPA; 7009 asthma cases, 7645 controls). We find strong evidence for association at four previously reported asthma loci whose discovery was driven largely by non-African populations, including the chromosome 17q12–q21 locus and the chr12q13 region, a novel (and not previously replicated) asthma locus recently identified by the Trans-National Asthma Genetic Consortium (TAGC). An additional seven loci reported by TAGC show marginal evidence for association in CAAPA. We also identify two novel loci (8p23 and 8q24) that may be specific to asthma risk in African ancestry populations. © 2019, The Author(s).
DescriptionAuthor Correction: Association study in African-admixed populations across the Americas recapitulates asthma risk loci in non-African populations (Nature Communications, (2019), 10, 1, (880), 10.1038/s41467-019-08469-7)
Rights/TermsAttribution 3.0 United States
Chromosomes, Human, Pair 12
Chromosomes, Human, Pair 17
Chromosomes, Human, Pair 8
Genome-Wide Association Study
Genetic Predisposition to Disease
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?partnerID=HzOxMe3b&scp=85061908861&origin=inward; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8865
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Expression quantitative trait locus fine mapping of the 17q12-21 asthma locus in African American children: a genetic association and gene expression study.
- Authors: Ober C, McKennan CG, Magnaye KM, Altman MC, Washington C 3rd, Stanhope C, Naughton KA, Rosasco MG, Bacharier LB, Billheimer D, Gold DR, Gress L, Hartert T, Havstad S, Khurana Hershey GK, Hallmark B, Hogarth DK, Jackson DJ, Johnson CC, Kattan M, Lemanske RF, Lynch SV, Mendonca EA, Miller RL, Naureckas ET, O'Connor GT, Seroogy CM, Wegienka G, White SR, Wood RA, Wright AL, Zoratti EM, Martinez FD, Ownby D, Nicolae DL, Levin AM, Gern JE, Environmental Influences on Child Health Outcomes-Children's Respiratory Research Workgroup.
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Further replication studies of the EVE Consortium meta-analysis identifies 2 asthma risk loci in European Americans.
- Authors: Myers RA, Himes BE, Gignoux CR, Yang JJ, Gauderman WJ, Rebordosa C, Xie J, Torgerson DG, Levin AM, Baurley J, Graves PE, Mathias RA, Romieu I, Roth LA, Conti D, Avila L, Eng C, Vora H, LeNoir MA, Soto-Quiros M, Liu J, Celedón JC, Galanter JM, Farber HJ, Kumar R, Avila PC, Meade K, Serebrisky D, Thyne S, Rodriguez-Cintron W, Rodriguez-Santana JR, Borrell LN, Lemanske RF Jr, Bleecker ER, Meyers DA, London SJ, Barnes KC, Raby BA, Martinez FD, Gilliland FD, Williams LK, Burchard EG, Weiss ST, Nicolae DL, Ober C
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Mapping the 17q12-21.1 Locus for Variants Associated with Early-Onset Asthma in African Americans.
- Authors: Gui H, Levin AM, Hu D, Sleiman P, Xiao S, Mak ACY, Yang M, Barczak AJ, Huntsman S, Eng C, Hochstadt S, Zhang E, Whitehouse K, Simons S, Cabral W, Takriti S, Abecasis G, Blackwell TW, Kang HM, Nickerson DA, Germer S, Lanfear DE, Gilliland F, Gauderman WJ, Kumar R, Erle DJ, Martinez FD, Hakonarson H, Burchard EG, Williams LK
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 15
- Meta-Analysis of Genome-Wide Association Studies Identifies Genetic Risk Factors for Stroke in African Americans.
- Authors: Carty CL, Keene KL, Cheng YC, Meschia JF, Chen WM, Nalls M, Bis JC, Kittner SJ, Rich SS, Tajuddin S, Zonderman AB, Evans MK, Langefeld CD, Gottesman R, Mosley TH, Shahar E, Woo D, Yaffe K, Liu Y, Sale MM, Dichgans M, Malik R, Longstreth WT Jr, Mitchell BD, Psaty BM, Kooperberg C, Reiner A, Worrall BB, Fornage M, COMPASS and METASTROKE Consortia.
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- A genome-wide association study on African-ancestry populations for asthma.
- Authors: Mathias RA, Grant AV, Rafaels N, Hand T, Gao L, Vergara C, Tsai YJ, Yang M, Campbell M, Foster C, Gao P, Togias A, Hansel NN, Diette G, Adkinson NF, Liu MC, Faruque M, Dunston GM, Watson HR, Bracken MB, Hoh J, Maul P, Maul T, Jedlicka AE, Murray T, Hetmanski JB, Ashworth R, Ongaco CM, Hetrick KN, Doheny KF, Pugh EW, Rotimi CN, Ford J, Eng C, Burchard EG, Sleiman PM, Hakonarson H, Forno E, Raby BA, Weiss ST, Scott AF, Kabesch M, Liang L, Abecasis G, Moffatt MF, Cookson WO, Ruczinski I, Beaty TH, Barnes KC
- Issue date: 2010 Feb