A20 deficiency in multipotent progenitors perturbs quiescence of hematopoietic stem cells
JournalStem Cell Research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInflammatory signals have been shown to play a critical role in controlling the maintenance and functions of hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs). While the significance of inflammation in hematopoiesis has begun to unfold, molecular mechanisms and players that govern this mode of HSC regulation remain largely unknown. The E3 ubiquitin ligase A20 has been considered as a central gatekeeper of inflammation. Here, we have specifically depleted A20 in multi-potent progenitors (MPPs) and studied its impact on hematopoiesis. Our data suggest that lack of A20 in Flt3 + progenitors causes modest alterations in hematopoietic differentiation. Analysis of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell (HSPC) pool revealed alterations in HSPC subsets including, HSCs, MPP1, MPP2, MPP3 and MPP4. Interestingly, A20 deficiency in MPPs caused loss of HSC quiescence and compromised long-term hematopoietic reconstitution. Mechanistic studies identified that A20 deficiency caused elevated levels of Interferon-? signaling and downregulation of p57 in HSCs. In essence, these studies identified A20 as a key regulator of HSC quiescence and cell fate decisions. © 2018
SponsorsWe thank Drs. Bleul and Boehm for providing the Flt3-Cre mice. This work was supported by grants from the NHLBI HL132194 (CVR).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85056601601&doi=10.1016%2fj.scr.2018.10.020&partnerID=40&md5=95811b47849374e41ed4c272bb0c4248; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8829
- Lack of the ubiquitin-editing enzyme A20 results in loss of hematopoietic stem cell quiescence.
- Authors: Nakagawa MM, Thummar K, Mandelbaum J, Pasqualucci L, Rathinam CV
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 9
- Transgenic expression of BRCA1 disturbs hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells quiescence and function.
- Authors: Bai L, Shi G, Zhang X, Dong W, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 15
- Slicer Endonuclease Argonaute 2 Is a Negative Regulator of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Quiescence.
- Authors: Lu K, Nakagawa MM, Thummar K, Rathinam CV
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Functionally Distinct Subsets of Lineage-Biased Multipotent Progenitors Control Blood Production in Normal and Regenerative Conditions.
- Authors: Pietras EM, Reynaud D, Kang YA, Carlin D, Calero-Nieto FJ, Leavitt AD, Stuart JM, Göttgens B, Passegué E
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 2
- CCCTC-binding factor is essential to the maintenance and quiescence of hematopoietic stem cells in mice.
- Authors: Kim TG, Kim S, Jung S, Kim M, Yang B, Lee MG, Kim HP
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 25