Harmony behind the trumped-shaped vessel: The essential role of the ductus venosus in fetal medicine
JournalBalkan Medical Journal
PublisherGalenos Publishing House
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe ductus venosus is a fetal vessel that functions importantly in the transfer of oxygen-and nutrient-rich blood from the umbilical vein to vital organs. Its control under active regulation and its anatomy result in a flow-velocity profile that is typically forward throughout the cardiac cycle. This forward cardiac function reflects afterload, cardiac contractility, compliance, and vascular volume changes. Ductus venosus assessment gives valuable information under different fetal conditions. For example, during first trimester screening, an abnormal ductus venosus measurement changes the screening result. Assessment of ductus venosus in twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome is an essential element of staging. In fetal growth restriction, an abnormal waveform mandates imminent delivery. In this review, we will discuss the role of ductus venosus assessment and its role in antenatal management and outcome prediction in certain fetal conditions throughout pregnancy. Copyright 2018 by Trakya University Faculty of Medicine / The Balkan Medical Journal published by Galenos Publishing House.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85046818822&doi=10.4274%2fbalkanmedj.2017.1389&partnerID=40&md5=36a55ea1231f3f55b1b4828735a032de; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8819
- Prenatal ultrasonographic assessment of the ductus venosus: a review.
- Authors: Sherer DM, Fromberg RA, Divon MY
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Clinical Significance of Ductus Venosus Waveform as Generated by Pressure- volume Changes in the Fetal Heart.
- Authors: Braga M, Moleiro ML, Guedes-Martins L
- Issue date: 2019
- Changes in ductus venosus velocity ratios after fetoscopic laser surgery for twin-twin transfusion syndrome.
- Authors: Fratelli N, Pedretti C, Gerosa V, Valcamonico A, Zanardini C, Prefumo F, Fichera A
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Doppler ultrasonography of human fetal ductus venosus.
- Authors: Mari G, VanDeKerkhove K
- Issue date: 1993 Jan
- Dilatation of the ductus venosus in human fetuses: ultrasonographic evidence and mathematical modeling.
- Authors: Bellotti M, Pennati G, Pardi G, Fumero R
- Issue date: 1998 Nov