PublisherAmerican Society for Microbiology
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractKlemm et al. (mBio 9:e00105-18, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1128/mBio.00105-18) present comprehensive antibiotic sensitivity patterns and genomic sequence data on Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi blood culture isolates from typhoid fever cases during an epidemic in Pakistan. Microbiologic and genomic data pinpoint the identities and locations of the antimicrobial resistance genes and the outbreak strain's lineage. They propose that Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi be added to the list of bacterial pathogens of public health importance that have become extensively drug resistant (XDR). This paper portends possible dire scenarios for typhoid fever control if XDR strains disseminate globally. Since the outbreak strain is of the H58 haplotype, known for its ability to spread worldwide and displace endemic S. Typhi, this concern is well-founded. The report of Klemm et al. forewarns the global community to address control of typhoid fever more aggressively through prevention, should therapeutic options disappear. This Commentary frames the Klemm et al. findings within a historic perspective. Copyright 2018 Levine and Simon.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85046396485&doi=10.1128%2fmBio.00482-18&partnerID=40&md5=0ec728e213436cc999c7451e4ce6b9d6; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8801
- Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi in Bangladesh: Exploration of Genomic Diversity and Antimicrobial Resistance.
- Authors: Tanmoy AM, Westeel E, De Bruyne K, Goris J, Rajoharison A, Sajib MSI, van Belkum A, Saha SK, Komurian-Pradel F, Endtz HP
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 13
- Emergence of an Extensively Drug-Resistant Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhi Clone Harboring a Promiscuous Plasmid Encoding Resistance to Fluoroquinolones and Third-Generation Cephalosporins.
- Authors: Klemm EJ, Shakoor S, Page AJ, Qamar FN, Judge K, Saeed DK, Wong VK, Dallman TJ, Nair S, Baker S, Shaheen G, Qureshi S, Yousafzai MT, Saleem MK, Hasan Z, Dougan G, Hasan R
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 20
- Laboratory characterisation of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi isolates from Zimbabwe, 2009-2017.
- Authors: Mashe T, Gudza-Mugabe M, Tarupiwa A, Munemo E, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Smouse SL, Sooka A, Stray-Pedersen B, Smith AM, Mbanga J
- Issue date: 2019 May 31
- First Case of Typhoid Fever due to Extensively Drug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi in Italy.
- Authors: Procaccianti M, Motta A, Giordani S, Riscassi S, Guidi B, Ruffini M, Maffini V, Esposito S, Dodi I
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 24
- Continued Outbreak of Ceftriaxone-Resistant Salmonella enterica Serotype Typhi across Pakistan and Assessment of Knowledge and Practices among Healthcare Workers.
- Authors: Nizamuddin S, Ching C, Kamal R, Zaman MH, Sultan F
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 25