Constitutive Activation of the Canonical NF-kB Pathway Leads to Bone Marrow Failure and Induction of Erythroid Signature in Hematopoietic Stem Cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConstitutive activation of the canonical NF-κB pathway has been associated with a variety of human pathologies. However, molecular mechanisms through which canonical NF-κB affects hematopoiesis remain elusive. Here, we demonstrate that deregulated canonical NF-κB signals in hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) cause a complete depletion of HSC pool, pancytopenia, bone marrow failure, and premature death. Constitutive activation of IKK2 in HSCs leads to impaired quiescence and loss of function. Gene set enrichment analysis (GSEA) identified an induction of "erythroid signature" in HSCs with augmented NF-κB activity. Mechanistic studies indicated a reduction of thrombopoietin (TPO)-mediated signals and its downstream target p57 in HSCs, due to reduced c-Mpl expression in a cell-intrinsic manner. Molecular studies established Klf1 as a key suppressor of c-Mpl in HSPCs with increased NF-κB. In essence, these studies identified a previously unknown mechanism through which exaggerated canonical NF-κB signals affect HSCs and cause pathophysiology. Nakagawa and Rathinam demonstrate that constitutive activation of IKK2 in HSCs causes a complete depletion of the HSC pool and impairs HSC functions due to a loss of "stemness" signature and an induction of erythroid signature. ©2018
SponsorsThis work was supported by a grant from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) ( HL132194 , to C.V.R.).
Keywordbone marrow failure
Hematopoietic Stem Cells
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85056712351&doi=10.1016%2fj.celrep.2018.10.071&partnerID=40&md5=d5804ad3832d3db7dfee014311a5d96d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8771
- Constitutive Activation of NIK Impairs the Self-Renewal of Hematopoietic Stem/Progenitor Cells and Induces Bone Marrow Failure.
- Authors: Xiu Y, Xue WY, Lambertz A, Leidinger M, Gibson-Corley K, Zhao C
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Constitutive Activation of NF-κB Pathway in Hematopoietic Stem Cells Causes Loss of Quiescence and Deregulated Transcription Factor Networks.
- Authors: Nakagawa MM, Chen H, Rathinam CV
- Issue date: 2018
- Loss of IKKβ but Not NF-κB p65 Skews Differentiation towards Myeloid over Erythroid Commitment and Increases Myeloid Progenitor Self-Renewal and Functional Long-Term Hematopoietic Stem Cells.
- Authors: Zhang J, Li L, Baldwin AS Jr, Friedman AD, Paz-Priel I
- Issue date: 2015
- Thrombopoietin and hematopoietic stem cells.
- Authors: de Graaf CA, Metcalf D
- Issue date: 2011 May 15
- Slicer Endonuclease Argonaute 2 Is a Negative Regulator of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Quiescence.
- Authors: Lu K, Nakagawa MM, Thummar K, Rathinam CV
- Issue date: 2016 May