2018 American College of Rheumatology/National Psoriasis Foundation Guideline for the Treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis
JournalArthritis and Rheumatology
PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Inc.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractObjective: To develop an evidence-based guideline for the pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatment of psoriatic arthritis (PsA), as a collaboration between the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) and the National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF). Methods: We identified critical outcomes in PsA and clinically relevant PICO (population/intervention/comparator/outcomes) questions. A Literature Review Team performed a systematic literature review to summarize evidence supporting the benefits and harms of available pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic therapies for PsA. GRADE (Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation) methodology was used to rate the quality of the evidence. A voting panel, including rheumatologists, dermatologists, other health professionals, and patients, achieved consensus on the direction and the strength of the recommendations. Results: The guideline covers the management of active PsA in patients who are treatment-naive and those who continue to have active PsA despite treatment, and addresses the use of oral small molecules, tumor necrosis factor inhibitors, interleukin-12/23 inhibitors (IL-12/23i), IL-17 inhibitors, CTLA4-Ig (abatacept), and a JAK inhibitor (tofacitinib). We also developed recommendations for psoriatic spondylitis, predominant enthesitis, and treatment in the presence of concomitant inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, or serious infections. We formulated recommendations for a treat-to-target strategy, vaccinations, and nonpharmacologic therapies. Six percent of the recommendations were strong and 94% conditional, indicating the importance of active discussion between the health care provider and the patient to choose the optimal treatment. Conclusion: The 2018 ACR/NPF PsA guideline serves as a tool for health care providers and patients in the selection of appropriate therapy in common clinical scenarios. Best treatment decisions consider each individual patient situation. The guideline is not meant to be proscriptive and should not be used to limit treatment options for patients with PsA. © 2018, American College of Rheumatology
SponsorsSupported by the American College of Rheumatology and the National Psoriasis Foundation.
KeywordAmerican College of Rheumatology
National Psoriasis Foundation (U.S.)
Arthritis, Psoriatic--drug therapy
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/8727
- Special Article: 2018 American College of Rheumatology/National Psoriasis Foundation Guideline for the Treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis.
- Authors: Singh JA, Guyatt G, Ogdie A, Gladman DD, Deal C, Deodhar A, Dubreuil M, Dunham J, Husni ME, Kenny S, Kwan-Morley J, Lin J, Marchetta P, Mease PJ, Merola JF, Miner J, Ritchlin CT, Siaton B, Smith BJ, Van Voorhees AS, Jonsson AH, Shah AA, Sullivan N, Turgunbaev M, Coates LC, Gottlieb A, Magrey M, Nowell WB, Orbai AM, Reddy SM, Scher JU, Siegel E, Siegel M, Walsh JA, Turner AS, Reston J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- 2017 American College of Rheumatology/American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Guideline for the Perioperative Management of Antirheumatic Medication in Patients With Rheumatic Diseases Undergoing Elective Total Hip or Total Knee Arthroplasty.
- Authors: Goodman SM, Springer B, Guyatt G, Abdel MP, Dasa V, George M, Gewurz-Singer O, Giles JT, Johnson B, Lee S, Mandl LA, Mont MA, Sculco P, Sporer S, Stryker L, Turgunbaev M, Brause B, Chen AF, Gililland J, Goodman M, Hurley-Rosenblatt A, Kirou K, Losina E, MacKenzie R, Michaud K, Mikuls T, Russell L, Sah A, Miller AS, Singh JA, Yates A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- American College of Rheumatology/Spondylitis Association of America/Spondyloarthritis Research and Treatment Network 2015 Recommendations for the Treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis and Nonradiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis.
- Authors: Ward MM, Deodhar A, Akl EA, Lui A, Ermann J, Gensler LS, Smith JA, Borenstein D, Hiratzka J, Weiss PF, Inman RD, Majithia V, Haroon N, Maksymowych WP, Joyce J, Clark BM, Colbert RA, Figgie MP, Hallegua DS, Prete PE, Rosenbaum JT, Stebulis JA, van den Bosch F, Yu DT, Miller AS, Reveille JD, Caplan L
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis 2015 Treatment Recommendations for Psoriatic Arthritis.
- Authors: Coates LC, Kavanaugh A, Mease PJ, Soriano ER, Laura Acosta-Felquer M, Armstrong AW, Bautista-Molano W, Boehncke WH, Campbell W, Cauli A, Espinoza LR, FitzGerald O, Gladman DD, Gottlieb A, Helliwell PS, Husni ME, Love TJ, Lubrano E, McHugh N, Nash P, Ogdie A, Orbai AM, Parkinson A, O'Sullivan D, Rosen CF, Schwartzman S, Siegel EL, Toloza S, Tuong W, Ritchlin CT
- Issue date: 2016 May
- 2019 American College of Rheumatology/Arthritis Foundation Guideline for the Treatment of Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: Therapeutic Approaches for Non-Systemic Polyarthritis, Sacroiliitis, and Enthesitis.
- Authors: Ringold S, Angeles-Han ST, Beukelman T, Lovell D, Cuello CA, Becker ML, Colbert RA, Feldman BM, Ferguson PJ, Gewanter H, Guzman J, Horonjeff J, Nigrovic PA, Ombrello MJ, Passo MH, Stoll ML, Rabinovich CE, Schneider R, Halyabar O, Hays K, Shah AA, Sullivan N, Szymanski AM, Turgunbaev M, Turner A, Reston J
- Issue date: 2019 Jun