Concussion management in combat sports: Consensus statement from the Association of Ringside Physicians
JournalBritish Journal of Sports Medicine
PublisherBMJ Publishing Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVarious organisations and experts have published numerous statements and recommendations regarding different aspects of sports-related concussion including definition, presentation, treatment, management and return to play guidelines. 1-7 To date, there have been no written consensus statements specific for combat sports regarding management of combatants who have suffered a concussion or for return to competition after a concussion. In combat sports, head contact is an objective of the sport itself. Accordingly, management and treatment of concussion in combat sports should, and must, be more stringent than for non-combat sports counterparts. The Association of Ringside Physicians (an international, non-profit organisation dedicated to the health and safety of the combat sports athlete) sets forth this consensus statement to establish management guidelines that ringside physicians, fighters, referees, trainers, promoters, sanctioning bodies and other healthcare professionals can use in the ringside setting. We also provide guidelines for the return of a combat sports athlete to competition after sustaining a concussion. This consensus statement does not address the management of moderate to severe forms of traumatic brain injury, such as intracranial bleeds, nor does it address the return to competition for combat sports athletes who have suffered such an injury. These more severe forms of brain injuries are beyond the scope of this statement. This consensus statement does not address neuroimaging guidelines in combat sports. Copyright 2019 Author(s).
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85051182570&doi=10.1136%2fbjsports-2017-098799&partnerID=40&md5=f5be45a3be0a718a348f7b3d2ab12cf5; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8723
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine position statement: concussion in sport.
- Authors: Harmon KG, Drezner JA, Gammons M, Guskiewicz KM, Halstead M, Herring SA, Kutcher JS, Pana A, Putukian M, Roberts WO
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Fighting to keep a sport safe: toward a structured and sport-specific return to play protocol.
- Authors: Nalepa B, Alexander A, Schodrof S, Bernick C, Pardini J
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Concussion reporting and perceived knowledge of professional fighters.
- Authors: Bennett LL, Arias JJ, Ford PJ, Bernick C, Banks SJ
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 27
- Developing guidelines for return to play: consensus and evidence-based approaches.
- Authors: Echemendia RJ, Giza CC, Kutcher JS
- Issue date: 2015
- Zurich to Berlin-"Where" Are We Now with the Concussion in Sport Group?
- Authors: Pusateri ME, Hockenberry BJ, McGrew CA
- Issue date: 2018 Jan