Human Disease Ontology 2018 update: Classification, content and workflow expansion
JournalNucleic Acids Research
PublisherOxford University Press
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Human Disease Ontology (DO) (http://www.disease-ontology.org), database has undergone significant expansion in the past three years. The DO disease classification includes specific formal semantic rules to express meaningful disease models and has expanded from a single asserted classification to include multiple-inferred mechanistic disease classifications, thus providing novel perspectives on related diseases. Expansion of disease terms, alternative anatomy, cell type and genetic disease classifications and workflow automation highlight the updates for the DO since 2015. The enhanced breadth and depth of the DO's knowledgebase has expanded the DO's utility for exploring the multi-etiology of human disease, thus improving the capture and communication of health-related data across biomedical databases, bioinformatics tools, genomic and cancer resources and demonstrated by a 6.6× growth in DO's user community since 2015. The DO's continual integration of human disease knowledge, evidenced by the more than 200 SVN/GitHub releases/revisions, since previously reported in our DO 2015 NAR paper, includes the addition of 2650 new disease terms, a 30% increase of textual definitions, and an expanding suite of disease classification hierarchies constructed through defined logical axioms. © The Author(s) 2018.
SponsorsNational Institutes of Health-National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) [U41 HG008735-01A1 to L.S.]; NIH-NHGRI U41 [BD2K] Administrative Supplemental [2U41HG000330-28 to J.E., M.G.I.]. Funding for open access charge: NIH/NHGRI [U41 HG008735-01A1].
KeywordHuman Disease Ontology
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85059795792&doi=10.1093%2fnar%2fgky1032&partnerID=40&md5=9f9d6173a6fd8fc316d030c0dd1b7f3d; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8715
- The Human Disease Ontology 2022 update.
- Authors: Schriml LM, Munro JB, Schor M, Olley D, McCracken C, Felix V, Baron JA, Jackson R, Bello SM, Bearer C, Lichenstein R, Bisordi K, Dialo NC, Giglio M, Greene C
- Issue date: 2022 Jan 7
- Disease Ontology 2015 update: an expanded and updated database of human diseases for linking biomedical knowledge through disease data.
- Authors: Kibbe WA, Arze C, Felix V, Mitraka E, Bolton E, Fu G, Mungall CJ, Binder JX, Malone J, Vasant D, Parkinson H, Schriml LM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Generating a focused view of disease ontology cancer terms for pan-cancer data integration and analysis.
- Authors: Wu TJ, Schriml LM, Chen QR, Colbert M, Crichton DJ, Finney R, Hu Y, Kibbe WA, Kincaid H, Meerzaman D, Mitraka E, Pan Y, Smith KM, Srivastava S, Ward S, Yan C, Mazumder R
- Issue date: 2015
- Disease Ontology: a backbone for disease semantic integration.
- Authors: Schriml LM, Arze C, Nadendla S, Chang YW, Mazaitis M, Felix V, Feng G, Kibbe WA
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- Disease Ontology: improving and unifying disease annotations across species.
- Authors: Bello SM, Shimoyama M, Mitraka E, Laulederkind SJF, Smith CL, Eppig JT, Schriml LM
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 12