Myeloid-derived suppressor cells are bound and inhibited by anti-thymocyte globulin
PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMyeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs) inhibit T cell responses and are relevant to cancer, autoimmunity and transplant biology. Anti-thymocyte globulin (ATG) is a commonly used T cell depletion agent, yet the effect of ATG on MDSCs has not been investigated. MDSCs were generated in Lewis Lung Carcinoma 1 tumor-bearing mice. MDSC development and function were assessed in vivo and in vitro with and without ATG administration. T cell suppression assays, RT-PCR, flow cytometry and arginase activity assays were used to assess MDSC phenotype and function. MDSCs increased dramatically in tumor-bearing mice and the majority of splenic MDSCs were of the polymorphonuclear subset. MDSCs potently suppressed T cell proliferation. ATG-treated mice developed 50% fewer MDSCs and these MDSCs were significantly less suppressive of T cell proliferation. In vitro, ATG directly bound 99.6% of MDSCs. CCR7, L-selectin and LFA-1 were expressed by both T cells and MDSCs, and binding of LFA-1 was inhibited by ATG pre-treatment. Arg-1 and PD-L1 transcript expression were reduced 30-40% and arginase activity decreased in ATG-pretreated MDSCs. MDSCs were bound and functionally inhibited by ATG. T cells and MDSCs expressed common Ags which were also targets of ATG. ATG may be helpful in tumor models seeking to suppress MDSCs. Alternatively, ATG may inadvertently inhibit important T cell regulatory events in autoimmunity and transplantation. © The Author(s) 2019.
myeloid derived suppressor cells
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85059661703&doi=10.1177%2f1753425918820427&partnerID=40&md5=94d80f3f463b1f9c1eea526ac5824447; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8619
- Differential effects of low-dose fludarabine or 5-fluorouracil on the tumor growth and myeloid derived immunosuppression status of tumor-bearing mice.
- Authors: Abedi-Valugerdi M, Zheng W, Benkessou F, Zhao Y, Hassan M
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells Associated With Disease Progression in Primary HIV Infection: PD-L1 Blockade Attenuates Inhibition.
- Authors: Zhang ZN, Yi N, Zhang TW, Zhang LL, Wu X, Liu M, Fu YJ, He SJ, Jiang YJ, Ding HB, Chu ZX, Shang H
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Tumor-induced myeloid-derived suppressor cell subsets exert either inhibitory or stimulatory effects on distinct CD8+ T-cell activation events.
- Authors: Schouppe E, Mommer C, Movahedi K, Laoui D, Morias Y, Gysemans C, Luyckx A, De Baetselier P, Van Ginderachter JA
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Inhibition of curcumin on myeloid-derived suppressor cells is requisite for controlling lung cancer.
- Authors: Liu D, You M, Xu Y, Li F, Zhang D, Li X, Hou Y
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells Contribute to Susceptibility to <i>Trypanosoma congolense</i> Infection by Suppressing CD4<sup>+</sup> T Cell Proliferation and IFN-γ Production.
- Authors: Onyilagha C, Kuriakose S, Ikeogu N, Jia P, Uzonna J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 15