PublisherTaylor & Francis Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnderstanding the structure of PrPSc is without doubt a sine qua non to understand not only PrPSc propagation, but also critical features of that process such as the strain phenomenon and transmission barriers. While elucidation of the PrPSc structure has been full of difficulties, we now have a large amount of structural information that allows us to begin to understand it. This commentary article summarizes a round table that took place within the Prion 2018 meeting held in Santiago de Compostela to discuss the state of the art in this matter. Two alternative models of PrPSc exist: the PIRIBS and the 4-rung β-solenoid models. Both of them have relevant features. The 4-rung β-solenoid model agrees with experimental constraints of brain derived PrPSc obtained from cryo-EM and X-ray fiber diffraction studies. Furthermore, it allows facile accommodation of the bulky glycans that decorate brain-derived PrPSc. On the other hand, the infectious PrP23-144 amyloid exhibits a PIRIBS architecture. Perhaps, both types of structure co-exist.
PrP23-144 infectious amyloid
solid state NMR
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85061273168&doi=10.1080%2f19336896.2019.1569450&partnerID=40&md5=58ad8ca7afd461364ffbfbb5d3b762aa; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8607
- The Structure of PrP<sup>Sc</sup> Prions.
- Authors: Wille H, Requena JR
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 7
- Proteinase K and the structure of PrPSc: The good, the bad and the ugly.
- Authors: Silva CJ, Vázquez-Fernández E, Onisko B, Requena JR
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 2
- Conformational properties of prion strains can be transmitted to recombinant prion protein fibrils in real-time quaking-induced conversion.
- Authors: Sano K, Atarashi R, Ishibashi D, Nakagaki T, Satoh K, Nishida N
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Sialylation of prion protein controls the rate of prion amplification, the cross-species barrier, the ratio of PrPSc glycoform and prion infectivity.
- Authors: Katorcha E, Makarava N, Savtchenko R, D'Azzo A, Baskakov IV
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Structural studies of the scrapie prion protein by electron crystallography.
- Authors: Wille H, Michelitsch MD, Guenebaut V, Supattapone S, Serban A, Cohen FE, Agard DA, Prusiner SB
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 19