Using 340B drug discounts to provide a financially sustainable medication discharge service
JournalResearch in Social and Administrative Pharmacy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe 340B Drug Pricing Program was intended to stretch federal resources by providing significant discounts to covered entities providing care to underserved populations. Program implementation and evidence of expanding services to higher income patients has brought more scrutiny and calls for elimination of the program. While additional review and reform may be warranted, profitability from 340B discounts enables covered entities to provide additional services that may not be feasible in absence of the program. This case report demonstrates one institution's use of 340B discounts to financially justify providing bedside medication delivery services for patients at the time of discharge from an inpatient admission. A simple financial model was developed using hospital data and inputs from available literature to estimate gross profit and earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA) with and without 340B discounts. Without the 340B drug price discounts, the service would operate at a financial loss, and further investigation must be done to determine whether other clinical or economic benefits would warrant discharge medication delivery at the institution. © 2018 The Authors
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85044587737&doi=10.1016%2fj.sapharm.2018.03.065&partnerID=40&md5=1097796b2e2e5c8971707e43f063168c; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8583
- 340B Drug Pricing Program Ceiling Price and Manufacturer Civil Monetary Penalties Regulation. Final rule.
- Authors: Health Resources and Services Administration, Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 5
- Revenues and Profits From Medicare Patients in Hospitals Participating in the 340B Drug Discount Program, 2013-2016.
- Authors: Conti RM, Nikpay SS, Buntin MB
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 2
- Comprehensive Legislative Reform to Protect the Integrity of the 340B Drug Discount Program.
- Authors: Zeta LM
- Issue date: 2015
- 340B Drug Pricing Program Ceiling Price and Manufacturer Civil Monetary Penalties Regulation. Final rule; further delay of effective date.
- Authors: Health Resources and Services Administration, HHS.
- Issue date: 2017 May 19
- Specialty Drug Price Trends in the Federal 340B Drug Discount Program.
- Authors: Lee CH, Chang J, McCombs J
- Issue date: 2019 Feb