Structural basis for epitopes in the gp120 cluster a region that invokes potent effector cell activity
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile a number of therapeutic options to control the progression of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) now exist, a broadly effective preventive vaccine is still not available. Through detailed structural analysis of antibodies able to induce potent effector cell activity, a number of Env epitopes have been identified which have the potential to be considered vaccine candidates. These antibodies mainly target the gp120 Cluster A region which is only exposed upon viral binding to the target cell with epitopes becoming available for antibody binding during viral entry and fusion and, therefore, after the effective window for neutralizing antibody activity. This review will discuss recent advances in the structural characterization of these important targets with a special focus on epitopes that are involved in Fc-mediated effector function without direct viral neutralizing activities. © 2019 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
SponsorsThis work was supported by NIH grants: NIAID R01 AI116274 and R01 AI129769 to MP, NIAID P01 AI120756 to G.T.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85060129504&doi=10.3390%2fv11010069&partnerID=40&md5=a6aaebb312ee21296b0083e5e061a53a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8568
- Structural definition of an antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity response implicated in reduced risk for HIV-1 infection.
- Authors: Acharya P, Tolbert WD, Gohain N, Wu X, Yu L, Liu T, Huang W, Huang CC, Kwon YD, Louder RK, Luongo TS, McLellan JS, Pancera M, Yang Y, Zhang B, Flinko R, Foulke JS Jr, Sajadi MM, Kamin-Lewis R, Robinson JE, Martin L, Kwong PD, Guan Y, DeVico AL, Lewis GK, Pazgier M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Cocrystal Structures of Antibody N60-i3 and Antibody JR4 in Complex with gp120 Define More Cluster A Epitopes Involved in Effective Antibody-Dependent Effector Function against HIV-1.
- Authors: Gohain N, Tolbert WD, Acharya P, Yu L, Liu T, Zhao P, Orlandi C, Visciano ML, Kamin-Lewis R, Sajadi MM, Martin L, Robinson JE, Kwong PD, DeVico AL, Ray K, Lewis GK, Pazgier M
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Targeting the Late Stage of HIV-1 Entry for Antibody-Dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity: Structural Basis for Env Epitopes in the C11 Region.
- Authors: Tolbert WD, Gohain N, Alsahafi N, Van V, Orlandi C, Ding S, Martin L, Finzi A, Lewis GK, Ray K, Pazgier M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 7
- Increased Epitope Complexity Correlated with Antibody Affinity Maturation and a Novel Binding Mode Revealed by Structures of Rabbit Antibodies against the Third Variable Loop (V3) of HIV-1 gp120.
- Authors: Pan R, Qin Y, Banasik M, Lees W, Shepherd AJ, Cho MW, Kong XP
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 1
- A Trimeric HIV-1 Envelope gp120 Immunogen Induces Potent and Broad Anti-V1V2 Loop Antibodies against HIV-1 in Rabbits and Rhesus Macaques.
- Authors: Jones AT, Chamcha V, Kesavardhana S, Shen X, Beaumont D, Das R, Wyatt LS, LaBranche CC, Stanfield-Oakley S, Ferrari G, Montefiori DC, Moss B, Tomaras GD, Varadarajan R, Amara RR
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 1