JournalInternational journal of molecular sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOver eighty million people in the United States have cardiovascular disease that can affect the heart causing myocardial infarction; the carotid arteries causing stroke; and the lower extremities leading to amputation. The treatment for end-stage cardiovascular disease is surgical-either endovascular therapy with balloons and stents-or open reconstruction to reestablish blood flow. All interventions damage or destroy the protective inner lining of the blood vessel-the endothelium. An intact endothelium is essential to provide a protective; antithrombotic lining of a blood vessel. Currently; there are no agents used in the clinical setting that promote reendothelialization. This process requires migration of endothelial cells to the denuded vessel; proliferation of endothelial cells on the denuded vessel surface; and the reconstitution of the tight adherence junctions responsible for the formation of an impermeable surface. These processes are all regulated in part and are dependent on small GTPases. As important as the small GTPases are for reendothelialization, dysregulation of these molecules can result in various vascular pathologies including aneurysm formation, atherosclerosis, diabetes, angiogenesis, and hypertension. A better understanding of the role of small GTPases in endothelial cell migration is essential to the development for novel agents to treat vascular disease.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85061978919&doi=10.3390%2fijms20040917&partnerID=40&md5=3ba381b4dcd58428b406681ac8a83cf1; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8546
- Role of GTPases in control of microvascular permeability.
- Authors: Spindler V, Schlegel N, Waschke J
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 15
- Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm: an evidence-based analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2002
- Temporal-specific roles of Rac1 during vascular development and retinal angiogenesis.
- Authors: Nohata N, Uchida Y, Stratman AN, Adams RH, Zheng Y, Weinstein BM, Mukouyama YS, Gutkind JS
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 15
- Developmental expression of three small GTPases in the mouse eye.
- Authors: Mitchell DC, Bryan BA, Liu JP, Liu WB, Zhang L, Qu J, Zhou X, Liu M, Li DW
- Issue date: 2007 Jul 13