Bursting at the seams: Molecular mechanisms mediating astrocyte swelling
JournalInternational Journal of Molecular Sciences
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrain swelling is one of the most robust predictors of outcome following brain injury, including ischemic, traumatic, hemorrhagic, metabolic or other injury. Depending on the specific type of insult, brain swelling can arise from the combined space-occupying effects of extravasated blood, extracellular edema fluid, cellular swelling, vascular engorgement and hydrocephalus. Of these, arguably the least well appreciated is cellular swelling. Here, we explore current knowledge regarding swelling of astrocytes, the most abundant cell type in the brain, and the one most likely to contribute to pathological brain swelling. We review the major molecular mechanisms identified to date that contribute to or mitigate astrocyte swelling via ion transport, and we touch upon the implications of astrocyte swelling in health and disease. © 2019 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
SponsorsA.D.L. is supported by a grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) (R01NS096143). J.M.S. is supported by grants from the Department of Veterans Affairs (I01BX002889), the Department of Defense (SCI170199), the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (R01HL082517) and the NINDS (R01NS060801; R01NS102589; R01NS105633).
Gap junction channels
Na + /K + -ATPase
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttps://www.scopus.com/inward/record.uri?eid=2-s2.0-85060145555&doi=10.3390%2fijms20020330&partnerID=40&md5=87c37a4ef58353c76fdf1485f2efb22a; http://hdl.handle.net/10713/8537
- SUR1-TRPM4 and AQP4 form a heteromultimeric complex that amplifies ion/water osmotic coupling and drives astrocyte swelling.
- Authors: Stokum JA, Kwon MS, Woo SK, Tsymbalyuk O, Vennekens R, Gerzanich V, Simard JM
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin 4 Induces Astrocyte Swelling But Not Death after Diffuse Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Authors: Gorse KM, Lantzy MK, Lee ED, Lafrenaye AD
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 15
- Activation of NF-κB mediates astrocyte swelling and brain edema in traumatic brain injury.
- Authors: Jayakumar AR, Tong XY, Ruiz-Cordero R, Bregy A, Bethea JR, Bramlett HM, Norenberg MD
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- Effects of estradiol on ischemic factor-induced astrocyte swelling and AQP4 protein abundance.
- Authors: Rutkowsky JM, Wallace BK, Wise PM, O'Donnell ME
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Profile of intravenous glyburide for the prevention of cerebral edema following large hemispheric infarction: evidence to date.
- Authors: King ZA, Sheth KN, Kimberly WT, Simard JM
- Issue date: 2018