Browsing Theses and Dissertations School of Social Work by Title "Assessing Developmental Pathways of Young Children Investigated for Neglect and Predictors of Persistent Problems"
Now showing items 1-1 of 1
Assessing Developmental Pathways of Young Children Investigated for Neglect and Predictors of Persistent ProblemsBackground: Young neglected children are at high risk for behavior problems, yet little is known about the diversity of these children or the predictors of behavior problems. The purpose of this dissertation was to identify subgroups of children following different behavioral trajectories, describe these groups and predictors of membership, and explore the association between receipt of child welfare services (CWS) and development. Methods: A sample of 2- and 3-year-olds reported for neglect who remained home (n=236) were selected from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-being (NSCAW). Externalizing and internalizing behaviors, measured by the Child Behavior Checklist (Achenbach, 1991, 1992), were examined over time using latent class growth analysis to assess the optimal number of classes of children following distinct trajectories. Using weighted data, bivariate and multivariate analyses were used to describe the children and identify predictors of group membership from the caregiving environment and CWS. Results: Four subgroups of children following distinct externalizing behavior paths and two subgroups following distinct internalizing behavior paths were identified. Most children scored in normal range, but one in seven (14.7%) exhibited borderline clinical externalizing behaviors at age 2 or 3 and followed a worsening path into clinical range over five or six years. A small group (0.5%) exhibited high levels of externalizing problems that remained in clinical range over time. Two-thirds (66.1%) consistently demonstrate normal-range internalizing behaviors during these five or six years, while the other third (33.9%) exhibit borderline clinical behaviors. Parent-reported physically assaultive behaviors and non-minority status predicted membership in the persistent externalizing problem and borderline clinical internalizing behavior groups. Lower household income predicted membership in the persistent externalizing problem groups. Neither outcome of investigation nor receipt of services predicted membership. Implications: Children reported for neglect should be screened for behavior problems in order to ensure appropriate referral for early intervention, averting persistent problems over time. Two affordable methods of brief screening are discussed. Children most at risk could be referred to early intervention, special education, or early mental health services for more thorough screening, evaluation, and treatment.