MetadataShow full item record
DescriptionThese images illustrate the stately English elm tree which once graced the campus of the University of Maryland, the Founding Campus in Baltimore. The tree stood on the lawn adjacent to Davidge Hall. The aged and enfeebled tree was removed on December 29, 2001, at which time the caretaking authorities estimated its approximate date of origin to be contemporary with the 1807 founding of the original School of Medicine. As part of its annual Founders Week activities, the University hosted a celebration on October 26, 2012 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Davidge Hall. A highlight of that event was the re-planting of a surviving seedling taken from the original tree at the time of its removal. Dr. Richard Taylor, School of Medicine Class of 1975, had obtained the seedling and nurtured it at his home. On the occasion of the anniversary commemoration, Dr. Taylor donated the thriving young tree to the Medical Alumni Association. A related prior celebration took place in May, 2012, with the unveiling of a large iron sculpture depicting the original elm tree. The sculpture adorns two tall picture windows located on the second floor of the Southern Management Corporation Campus Center. Dr. Bruce Jarrell, Chief Academic and Research Officer (CARO), Senior Vice President and Dean of the Graduate School, collaborated with Ukrainian master blacksmith Anatoliy Rudik in together crafting the piece artistically reincarnating the significant lost campus icon. In addition to the tree itself, the sculpture also incorporates the iron fence that borders the actual Davidge Hall site.
Jarrell, Bruce E.
Taylor, Richard L.
Trees in art
Universities and colleges--Maryland--Baltimore
University of Maryland, Baltimore
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/2250
The following license files are associated with this item: