MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) have been utilized in cell therapy for various diseases. Recent studies have demonstrated that extracellular vesicles (EVs) released by MSCs play an important role in their therapeutic activities. EVs contain a variety of bioactive molecules such as proteins, messenger RNAs (mRNAs), and micro RNAs (miRNAs) and modify the function of the recipient cells by transferring these molecules. Despite the promising potential of EV therapy as a substitute for MSC therapy, there are challenges that need to be addressed for the clinical success of EV therapy. EV quality has been shown to vary from batch to batch and preparation to preparation. As the consistency and reproducibility of therapeutic effects rely on the quality of EVs, it is necessary to establish techniques to manufacture scalable amounts of EVs with the same quality. In this manuscript, we discuss the potential factors that affect EV quality. We then introduce pre-clinical studies of EV therapy for bone/cartilage diseases such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoporosis.
Rights/Terms© 2022 The Authors.
KeywordExtracellular vesicles (EVs)
Mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/20241
- Mesenchymal Stromal Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles Protect the Fetal Brain After Hypoxia-Ischemia.
- Authors: Ophelders DR, Wolfs TG, Jellema RK, Zwanenburg A, Andriessen P, Delhaas T, Ludwig AK, Radtke S, Peters V, Janssen L, Giebel B, Kramer BW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Scalable Production of Human Mesenchymal Stromal Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles Under Serum-/Xeno-Free Conditions in a Microcarrier-Based Bioreactor Culture System.
- Authors: de Almeida Fuzeta M, Bernardes N, Oliveira FD, Costa AC, Fernandes-Platzgummer A, Farinha JP, Rodrigues CAV, Jung S, Tseng RJ, Milligan W, Lee B, Castanho MARB, Gaspar D, Cabral JMS, da Silva CL
- Issue date: 2020
- Therapeutic prospects of MicroRNAs carried by mesenchymal stem cells-derived extracellular vesicles in autoimmune diseases.
- Authors: Liu H, Chen Y, Yin G, Xie Q
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 15
- Targeting the Immune System With Mesenchymal Stromal Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles: What Is the Cargo's Mechanism of Action?
- Authors: Martin-Rufino JD, Espinosa-Lara N, Osugui L, Sanchez-Guijo F
- Issue date: 2019
- Mesenchymal stromal cell-derived extracellular vesicles for bone regeneration therapy.
- Authors: Murali VP, Holmes CA
- Issue date: 2021 Jun