A history of the MetaSUB consortium: Tracking urban microbes around the globe.
AuthorRyon, Krista A
Tierney, Braden T
Zambrano, Maria Mercedes
Hazrin-Chong, Nur Hazlin
Łabaj, Paweł P
Sezer, Zehra Hazal
Mason, Christopher E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe MetaSUB Consortium, founded in 2015, is a global consortium with an interdisciplinary team of clinicians, scientists, bioinformaticians, engineers, and designers, with members from more than 100 countries across the globe. This network has continually collected samples from urban and rural sites including subways and transit systems, sewage systems, hospitals, and other environmental sampling. These collections have been ongoing since 2015 and have continued when possible, even throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. The consortium has optimized their workflow for the collection, isolation, and sequencing of DNA and RNA collected from these various sites and processing them for metagenomics analysis, including the identification of SARS-CoV-2 and its variants. Here, the Consortium describes its foundations, and its ongoing work to expand on this network and to focus its scope on the mapping, annotation, and prediction of emerging pathogens, mapping microbial evolution and antibiotic resistance, and the discovery of novel organisms and biosynthetic gene clusters.
Rights/Terms© 2022 The Authors.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/20102
- The Metagenomics and Metadesign of the Subways and Urban Biomes (MetaSUB) International Consortium inaugural meeting report.
- Authors: MetaSUB International Consortium
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 3
- Application of machine learning techniques for creating urban microbial fingerprints.
- Authors: Ryan FJ
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 16
- Massive metagenomic data analysis using abundance-based machine learning.
- Authors: Harris ZN, Dhungel E, Mosior M, Ahn TH
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 1
- Identification of city specific important bacterial signature for the MetaSUB CAMDA challenge microbiome data.
- Authors: Walker AR, Datta S
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 24
- Annotating unknown species of urban microorganisms on a global scale unveils novel functional diversity and local environment association.
- Authors: Wu J, Danko D, Afshinnekoo E, Bezdan D, Bhattacharyya M, Castro-Nallar E, Chmielarczyk A, Hazrin-Chong NH, Deng Y, Dias-Neto E, Frolova A, Mason-Buck G, Iraola G, Jang S, Łabaj P, Lee PKH, Nieto-Caballero M, Osuolale OO, Ouzounis CA, Perlin MH, Prithiviraj B, Rascovan N, Różańska A, Schriml LM, Semmler T, Suzuki H, Ugalde JA, Young B, Werner J, Zambrano MM, Zhao Y, Mason C, Shi T, MetaSUB Consortium
- Issue date: 2022 May 1