Bronchial Artery Chemoembolization With Radiopaque Doxorubicin Eluding Beads in Patients With Malignant Hemoptysis from Metastatic Lung Cancer.
JournalTechnology in cancer research & treatment
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPurpose:This pilot study was designed to assess the technical feasibility and safety of bronchial artery chemoembolization with radiopaque doxorubicin eluting beads (DEB-BACE) in patients with malignant hemoptysis from pulmonary metastasis. Materials & Methods: Four patients underwent DEB-BACE using 70-150 μm radiopaque DEB (LC Beads LUMI, Boston Scientific). Beads delivery and deposition were assessed under fluoroscopy and cone beam computed tomography (CT), respectively. Results: All 4 procedures were technically successful. Beads delivery and deposition were successfully visualized under fluoroscopy and cone beam CT guidance in all cases. Hemoptysis was resolved after embolization in all 4 patients. There were no adverse events or immediate or early complications after DEB-BACE. Two patients (50%) required repeat DEB-BACE within 1 week due to recurrent hemoptysis, and 1 patient had DEB-BACE 1.5 years later due to recurrent hemoptysis from the contralateral lung. All targeted lesions decreased in size in follow-up studies (mean 16 months, range 1-33 months). One patient died of progressive cancer disease invading the heart 1 month after DEB-BACE. Conclusions: DEB-BACE using radiopaque LC Beads LUMI loaded with doxorubicin is technically feasible and safe for controlling hemoptysis and cancer progression in patients with metastatic lung tumors. Visualization of beads delivery under fluoroscopy and deposition of beads under cone beam CT facilitate delivery of beads and embolization of bronchial arteries.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/20075
- The efficacy of drug-eluting beads bronchial arterial chemoembolization loaded with gemcitabine for treatment of non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Bie Z, Li Y, Li B, Wang D, Li L, Li X
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Efficacy and safety of drug-eluting beads bronchial arterial chemoembolization versus conventional bronchial arterial chemoembolization in lung cancer patients with hemoptysis.
- Authors: Fu Z, Wang C, Wei W, Xiang G, Guan L, Zhan M, Li W, Peng X, Gong Z, Gao B
- Issue date: 2022 Aug
- Cone-Beam Computed Tomography-Based Spatial Prediction of Drug Dose After Transarterial Chemoembolization Using Radiopaque Drug-Eluting Beads in Woodchuck Hepatocellular Carcinoma.
- Authors: Mikhail AS, Pritchard WF, Negussie AH, Inkiyad G, Long DJ, Mauda-Havakuk M, Wakim PG, van der Sterren W, Levy EB, Lewis AL, Karanian JW, Wood BJ
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 1
- Drug-eluting beads bronchial arterial chemoembolization as a neoadjuvant treatment for squamous non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Yu G, Hu J
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Bronchial artery chemoembolization with drug-eluting beads versus bronchial artery infusion followed by polyvinyl alcohol particles embolization for advanced squamous cell lung cancer: A retrospective study.
- Authors: He G, Yang K, Zhang X, Pan J, Han A, Gao Z, Li Y, Wang W
- Issue date: 2023 Apr