AuthorCohee, Lauren M
Seydel, Karl B
Mbewe, Rex B
Walker, Edward D
Wilson, Mark L
Laufer, Miriam K
Taylor, Terrie E
Mathanga, Don P
JournalThe American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the scale-up of interventions against malaria over the past decade, this disease remains a leading threat to health in Malawi. To evaluate the epidemiology of both Plasmodium falciparum infection and malaria disease, the Malawi International Center of Excellence for Malaria Research (ICEMR) has developed and implemented diverse and robust surveillance and research projects. Descriptive studies in ICEMR Phase 1 increased our understanding of the declining effectiveness of long-lasting insecticidal nets (LLINs), the role of school-age children in malaria parasite transmission, and the complexity of host-parasite interactions leading to disease. These findings informed the design of ICEMR Phase 2 to test hypotheses about LLIN use and effectiveness, vector resistance to insecticides, demographic targets of malaria control, patterns and causes of asymptomatic to life-threatening disease, and the impacts of RTS,S vaccination plus piperonyl butoxide-treated LLINs on infection and disease in young children. These investigations are helping us to understand mosquito-to-human and human-to-mosquito transmission in the context of Malawi's intransigent malaria problem.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/20068
- Malawi ICEMR Malaria Research: Interactions and Results Influencing Health Policies and Practices.
- Authors: Mangani C, Mzilahowa T, Cohee L, Kayange M, Ntenda P, Sixpence A, Gumbo A, Lankhulani S, Goupeyou-Youmsi J, Walker E, Laufer M, Valim C, Seydel K, Wilson ML, Taylor T, Mathanga DP
- Issue date: 2022 Oct 11
- Effectiveness of a long-lasting piperonyl butoxide-treated insecticidal net and indoor residual spray interventions, separately and together, against malaria transmitted by pyrethroid-resistant mosquitoes: a cluster, randomised controlled, two-by-two factorial design trial.
- Authors: Protopopoff N, Mosha JF, Lukole E, Charlwood JD, Wright A, Mwalimu CD, Manjurano A, Mosha FW, Kisinza W, Kleinschmidt I, Rowland M
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 21
- LLIN Evaluation in Uganda Project (LLINEUP): a cross-sectional survey of species diversity and insecticide resistance in 48 districts of Uganda.
- Authors: Lynd A, Gonahasa S, Staedke SG, Oruni A, Maiteki-Sebuguzi C, Dorsey G, Opigo J, Yeka A, Katureebe A, Kyohere M, Hemingway J, Kamya MR, Donnelly MJ
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 12
- Piperonyl butoxide (PBO) combined with pyrethroids in insecticide-treated nets to prevent malaria in Africa.
- Authors: Gleave K, Lissenden N, Richardson M, Choi L, Ranson H
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 29
- Effect of long-lasting insecticidal nets with and without piperonyl butoxide on malaria indicators in Uganda (LLINEUP): a pragmatic, cluster-randomised trial embedded in a national LLIN distribution campaign.
- Authors: Staedke SG, Gonahasa S, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Maiteki-Sebuguzi C, Lynd A, Katureebe A, Kyohere M, Mutungi P, Kigozi SP, Opigo J, Hemingway J, Donnelly MJ
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 18