Pharmacological TRPC6 inhibition improves survival and muscle function in mice with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
AuthorLin, Brian L
Shin, Joseph Y
Jeffreys, William Pd
Lukban, Clarisse A
Moorer, Megan C
Hanselman, Olivia A
Riddle, Ryan C
Ward, Christopher W
Pullen, Steven S
Kass, David A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGene mutations causing loss of dystrophin result in the severe muscle disease known as Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Despite efforts at genetic repair, DMD therapy remains largely palliative. Loss of dystrophin destabilizes the sarcolemmal membrane, inducing mechanosensitive cation channels to increase calcium entry and promote cell damage and, eventually, muscle dysfunction. One putative channel is transient receptor potential canonical 6 (TRPC6); we have shown that TRPC6 contributed to abnormal force and calcium stress-responses in cardiomyocytes from mice lacking dystrophin that were haplodeficient for utrophin (mdx/utrn+/- [HET] mice). Here, we show in both the HET mouse and the far more severe homozygous mdx/utrn-/- mouse that TRPC6 gene deletion or its selective pharmacologic inhibition (by BI 749327) prolonged survival 2- to 3-fold, improving skeletal and cardiac muscle and bone defects. Gene pathways reduced by BI 749327 treatment most prominently regulated fat metabolism and TGF-β1 signaling. These results support the testing of TRPC6 inhibitors in human trials for other diseases as a novel DMD therapy.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19977
- Transient receptor potential channel 6 regulates abnormal cardiac S-nitrosylation in Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Authors: Chung HS, Kim GE, Holewinski RJ, Venkatraman V, Zhu G, Bedja D, Kass DA, Van Eyk JE
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 12
- Characterization of neuromuscular synapse function abnormalities in multiple Duchenne muscular dystrophy mouse models.
- Authors: van der Pijl EM, van Putten M, Niks EH, Verschuuren JJ, Aartsma-Rus A, Plomp JJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Social stress is lethal in the mdx model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Authors: Razzoli M, Lindsay A, Law ML, Chamberlain CM, Southern WM, Berg M, Osborn J, Engeland WC, Metzger JM, Ervasti JM, Bartolomucci A
- Issue date: 2020 May
- Correlation of Utrophin Levels with the Dystrophin Protein Complex and Muscle Fibre Regeneration in Duchenne and Becker Muscular Dystrophy Muscle Biopsies.
- Authors: Janghra N, Morgan JE, Sewry CA, Wilson FX, Davies KE, Muntoni F, Tinsley J
- Issue date: 2016
- Alterations in Notch signalling in skeletal muscles from mdx and dko dystrophic mice and patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Authors: Church JE, Trieu J, Chee A, Naim T, Gehrig SM, Lamon S, Angelini C, Russell AP, Lynch GS
- Issue date: 2014 Apr