A Machine Learning Framework for Detecting COVID-19 Infection Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering.
Gartia, Manas Ranjan
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, we explored machine learning approaches for predictive diagnosis using surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS), applied to the detection of COVID-19 infection in biological samples. To do this, we utilized SERS data collected from 20 patients at the University of Maryland Baltimore School of Medicine. As a preprocessing step, the positive-negative labels are obtained using Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) testing. First, we compared the performance of linear and nonlinear dimensionality techniques for projecting the high-dimensional Raman spectra to a low-dimensional space where a smaller number of variables defines each sample. The appropriate number of reduced features used was obtained by comparing the mean accuracy from a 10-fold cross-validation. Finally, we employed Gaussian process (GP) classification, a probabilistic machine learning approach, to correctly predict the occurrence of a negative or positive sample as a function of the low-dimensional space variables. As opposed to providing rigid class labels, the GP classifier provides a probability (ranging from zero to one) that a given sample is positive or negative. In practice, the proposed framework can be used to provide high-throughput rapid testing, and a follow-up PCR can be used for confirmation in cases where the model’s uncertainty is unacceptably high.
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19633
- Rapid and quantitative detection of respiratory viruses using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy and machine learning.
- Authors: Yang Y, Xu B, Murray J, Haverstick J, Chen X, Tripp RA, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2022 Dec 1
- Differentiation and classification of bacterial endotoxins based on surface enhanced Raman scattering and advanced machine learning.
- Authors: Yang Y, Xu B, Haverstick J, Ibtehaz N, Muszyński A, Chen X, Chowdhury MEH, Zughaier SM, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2022 Jun 23
- Label-free blood serum detection by using surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy and support vector machine for the preoperative diagnosis of parotid gland tumors.
- Authors: Yan B, Li B, Wen Z, Luo X, Xue L, Li L
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 5
- Discrimination between Carbapenem-Resistant and Carbapenem-Sensitive Klebsiella pneumoniae Strains through Computational Analysis of Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectra: a Pilot Study.
- Authors: Liu W, Tang JW, Lyu JW, Wang JJ, Pan YC, Shi XY, Liu QH, Zhang X, Gu B, Wang L
- Issue date: 2022 Feb 23
- Machine Learning-Assisted Sampling of Surfance-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS) Substrates Improve Data Collection Efficiency.
- Authors: Rojalin T, Antonio D, Kulkarni A, Carney RP
- Issue date: 2022 Apr