Gatto, Louis A
Kaczka, David W
Habashi, Nader M
JournalCritical Care (London, England)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA hallmark of ARDS is progressive shrinking of the 'baby lung,' now referred to as the ventilator-induced lung injury (VILI) 'vortex.' Reducing the risk of the VILI vortex is the goal of current ventilation strategies; unfortunately, this goal has not been achieved nor has mortality been reduced. However, the temporal aspects of a mechanical breath have not been considered. A brief expiration prevents alveolar collapse, and an extended inspiration can recruit the atelectatic lung over hours. Time-controlled adaptive ventilation (TCAV) is a novel ventilator approach to achieve these goals, since it considers many of the temporal aspects of dynamic lung mechanics.
Rights/Terms© 2022. The Author(s).
KeywordAcute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
Protective mechanical ventilation
Ventilator-induced lung injury (VILI)
Identifier to cite or link to this itemhttp://hdl.handle.net/10713/19546
- Physiology in Medicine: Understanding dynamic alveolar physiology to minimize ventilator-induced lung injury.
- Authors: Nieman GF, Satalin J, Kollisch-Singule M, Andrews P, Aiash H, Habashi NM, Gatto LA
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Acute lung injury: how to stabilize a broken lung.
- Authors: Nieman GF, Andrews P, Satalin J, Wilcox K, Kollisch-Singule M, Madden M, Aiash H, Blair SJ, Gatto LA, Habashi NM
- Issue date: 2018 May 24
- Preemptive Mechanical Ventilation Based on Dynamic Physiology in the Alveolar Microenvironment: Novel Considerations of Time-Dependent Properties of the Respiratory System.
- Authors: Nieman G, Satalin J, Andrews P, Wilcox K, Aiash H, Baker S, Kollisch-Singule M, Madden M, Gatto L, Habashi N
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Novel approaches to minimize ventilator-induced lung injury.
- Authors: Fan E, Villar J, Slutsky AS
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 28
- Renin-angiotensin-system, a potential pharmacological candidate, in acute respiratory distress syndrome during mechanical ventilation.
- Authors: Wang D, Chai XQ, Magnussen CG, Zosky GR, Shu SH, Wei X, Hu SS
- Issue date: 2019 Oct